Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new member

Trapper

Hi guys

Im a new member on here so thought id start by saying hi.
    Ive always loved the out doors and always wanted to spend more time learning bush craft etc. Me and my son spend many nights under the stars, hes only 6 but a little ray mears.
    Ive recently been told I have arthritis in my spine which is going to get worse and ive been signed off work for the forseable future.
    So I thought about getting a new hobby and that is making things out of wood.

I would like to make myself a walking stick so if anyone has any advice I would love to read it.

Thanks again folks and I look forward to chatting in the future

Mat

Hello Mat & from Shropshire Sorry I have no advice for you but there are a good few on here that will,What part of the country are you from, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Trapper
    Hi ken

Im from southampton. Spend alot of time in the new forest. That is a incredible place

It sure is Mat, I cant give you advice cos Ime not an arty type of guy, wish I was but Ime the practical type. Once again welcome to the forum, Have you seen the stuff Tony1948 has recently carved, he's very good. ATB, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

to the forum Mat,sorry to hear about you'r back,wot do you want to no about makeing stick's Atb for now........Dont get eaten by the bears.....Tony.

Trapper
    Hi tony

Well I've been doing a lot of reading about sticks, I've read the best time to cut the hazel is around now but then it needs to season,so is there away to season it faster or somewhere to buy a shank ready seasoned, so I can get started.

Also what tools would I need for a basic thumb stick, I'm. Not looking to make the worlds fanciest just yet.
    I have drills,saws,planes,chisels etc

Mat

Tribesman
    Hi Mat
    Welcome to the forum.
    Little bit of info here on sticks.

http://youtu.be/FzlAEtQBd5M

Tony
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Trapper
    don't suppose you ever pass Essex or Kent on your travels do you?
    I have some woodland and I coppiced a load of Hazel back in feb, although I've used alot in dead hedges, I still have a few bits that have been standing/drying out, I could look for a straight one for you, measure from the floor to your waist (belt height) to figure out the length you need

Trapper
    Rat catcher that's a generous offer but I don't ever travel that way. Really appreciate it though.

I'm just trying to find a company online that deliver shanks, but seem to be gettin the states.

Trapper