Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: practicing bushcraft at home

practicing bushcraft at home

Is it just me?
    Often when I'm out I'll find a good peice of wood I'll bring it home to work on. I've even bought wood to bring home and practice on.
    My point is i seem to do more at home than out and about. I don't want to be seen with my knife or axe, unless I'm in the middle of nowhere. Feel a bit daft being just down the road from my house, fully loaded with kit.
    Anyway I'm often in the garden, or i place plastic on the floor at home. Wood shavings everywhere no matter how much plastic is down. I tell the other half I've got to be able to do it before I need to do it.
    I do get out and about very often, but don't seem to be able to apply what I know as I'm not out long enough.
    So is it just me.Do you only practice when your out, or do you get wood shavings in your sox like me.

Tribesman
    I have wood shavings like most people have carpets!!
    Seriously though, on some occasions it is easier to take a lump of wood home and whittle there.
    No need to hump the gear around with you and much more comfy.
    I tend to do tent pegs and the like in situ, spoons I enjoy doing at home in a evening whilst listening to music
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I like to get out as much as possible but if I have to practise in the back garden I have no problem with that at all!

Trapper
    I tend to come home from the woods with pockets full of chips from the chainsaw, but yup, all of my spoons get carved in the garden, my reasoning as yet is because theres always other jobs to do in the wood, or as others are helping, they may want to give carving a go too, and in the woods I cant hang up the sign saying

"the man who lends tools, is out"

if im in the wood or my back garden its all the same to me as like you mate I spend more time in garden than in the woods

I think you will find most people practise in the garden, it's local and you can get whatever it is you're doing right before you try it out for real. I cooked my first bannock in the oven at home and the next in the garden.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

I come home from other folks back gardens covered in chainsaw chips... I have a couple of areas I can sit out and whittle and the whole family likes to sit round the firepit of an evening
    [

Working with wood at home gives you the advantage of having more tools to access on hand. You can't exactly pack up your workshop in your pack to go out and about. You don't have to spend all your bushcrafting time in the deep woods away from interlopers. It can be hard to find such places these days, and many of us don't have all the outdoor time we wish we had because we work for a living.
    Do what you want with your time...where you do it doesn't really matter IMHO.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Samuel Hearne
    I am forever bringing wood home to make pegs for my snares, the Mrs always moans at me about it so I do a lot of my stuff at my garage that is full to bursting.

Why wouldn't you do it at home? You can practice more often that way and it's better than what's on Television any day, but sounds like you might be doing both at the same time, mind your fingers...lol
    Campfires are best shared with friends.