Thread: Sawyer Mini water filter

Sawyer Mini water filter

If any of you guys haven't seen the sawyer water filters, I can highly recommend them. I have a SP122 model and have been using mine as a gravity filter and as part of my hydration bladder set up for 3 years now and it still works great. If you back flush it whenever you use it and don't let it freeze, it will last you a long time.

They have just released the Sawyer Mini. It has the same filter as the squeeze and SP122(0.1 micron) but has shaved a fair bit of weight off the casing.

These guys have a sale on with the new minis.

http://www.highwaterfilters.com/sawy...ducts-s/70.htm

No affiliation, just a quality product at a nice price.

I've been eyeing the Sawyer filters for about a year. I think I'll be getting one soon. Thanks for sharing.
    John.

Sorry. Double posted.

Alone in the Wilderness Gunny Webb's Avatar
    They work well unless they are cold and the water is near freezing. Makes them so dense and combined with cold water they will not pass water. Filter and water must be warmed first. Found this out the hard way. Now I use a First Need filter for cold and the Sawyer for water above 50 F.
    Last edited by Gunny Webb; 13-01-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    If you sign up for a Survival School and it's cancelled for poor weather, you missed very little.

I'd also chuck my tuppence worth in their favour, great bit of kit to have in your pack, will be using it through this winter and I'm aware of the cold issues but the thing is so small (I use the Sawyer mini) I'm just gonna stuff it in my inside pocket when mobile or the foot of my bag when I'm rigged and set up for the day/night. Think I paid around 30 quid for it, money well spent in my opinion, I use it as my primary filtration system but it can be stowed away for an emergency pack too, the straw set up means you can effectively drink from puddles on the move, although I'd need to be in a pretty desperate situation to do that lol.