Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needs a polish..

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Well, I started to get busy with the metal polish and steel wool on the bottom of the stove, and I think the photo shows the potential 'shineyness' which I could have achieved on the little stove, but I had a change of heart. Once I'd fitted the new washers, seals and meths primer ring I knew I had a working stove. The spares man tells me it was made in 1924 so it's exactly 20 years older than me.. Somehow making it shine all over like a piece of modern 'Bling' jewellery didn't seem right to me, so I just cleaned it until I could see the makers marks and identifying details.

Just visible in the centre is a date code that puts it at 90 years old...

The premises of the spares supplier is a wonderous place, like stepping back into history. You need a glass flu to fit a 1880's table lamp? Yes we have those, top shelf. A pump washer for a 90 year old Primus? How many would you like? A simply amazing place, full of lanterns, stoves and spare parts. I'm going back...My boat feels a need for a couple of those 1900 cabin bulkhead oil lamps he had in a box...

what a difference!! looks absolutely amazing now mate! what a great bit of kit!!

Isle of Wight (and often Cornwall in my wee caravan there!)
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    Well, I started to get busy with the metal polish and steel wool on the bottom of the stove, and I think the photo shows the potential 'shineyness' which I could have achieved on the little stove, but I had a change of heart. Once I'd fitted the new washers, seals and meths primer ring I knew I had a working stove. The spares man tells me it was made in 1924 so it's exactly 20 years older than me.. Somehow making it shine all over like a piece of modern 'Bling' jewellery didn't seem right to me, so I just cleaned it until I could see the makers

The premises of the spares supplier is a wonderous place, like stepping back into history. You need a glass flu to fit a 1880's table lamp? Yes we have those, top shelf. A pump washer for a 90 year old Primus? How many would you like? A simply amazing place, full of lanterns, stoves and spare parts. I'm going back...My boat feels a need for a couple of those 1900 cabin bulkhead oil lamps he had in a box...
    Wow! This is so beautiful! And you were right not to try and make it look like new- it is all the more beautiful as it shows it's age - I love it!
    The best classroom and the richest store cupboard are roofed only by the sky. Margaret McMillan

Thats a nice bit of kit..............

Youve been busy John. Your right clean is 1 thing, a mirror is another will phone you about 20 30hrs Ken
    Last edited by Rasputin; 04-10-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.