Thread: Aussie Canoe trip

Aussie Canoe trip

Myself, Lepmeister, smartee, and another few mates from bushcraftoz went out down the Kangaroo River to Lake Yarrunga in New South Wales for a canoe overnighter.

The valley is a 2 hour drive from Sydney so we set off early and were out on the water by 9.30. The forecast was for clear skies and low winds so we were in for good canoeing conditions.

Lepmeister has just bought a new Wenonah Prospector so I left my Old Town at home and jumped in with him. It's a great craft if anyone is interested in buying a (fairly light) traditional shaped canoe.

The lake was a 3 hour paddle from the put in point, we had a slight back wind and glassy water so the paddling was real comfy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trip1.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	10280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trip3.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	10281

The spring here as been very warm so most of the reptiles are out already and there was plenty of goannas about the place.

I swapped my hammock with smartee for the night. He used my Warbonnet Blackbird and I used his Hennesey Hyperlite. I gotta say, that Hennesey is one comfortable hammock and I slept great. The temperature got down to 6(42deg) with a heavy mist that made for a picturesque morning.

Name:	trip5.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	10282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trip4.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	10283

There is a nice sunken forest area that is well stocked with bass so we flicked a few lures on the way back to the cars. Once again my eco fishing technique was in evidence(I didn't catch anything )

Name:	trip7.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	10284

All in all, it was another great trip with plenty of wildlife and reconfirmation of why I love bushcraft and the outdoor life.

If any of you have the opportunity to get down here, the Kangaroo Valley and Morton National Park is a very wild and large area to explore and I recommend it to anyone interested in a canoe trip down under.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    That looks a nice place to paddle :0)

Nothing like mixing three of your joys in life in one trip, wild camp, canoe and fishing ( Even if tha catches nowt ) doesnt come buch better than that. I can see you had a gudden, thanks for sharing the trip, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Looks you all had a really good trip, great report and photographs. I think I have adopted your eco fishing technique
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Looks great mate. Thanks for sharing!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Sweet
    Ansum La

very jealous! keep the pics coming bro!