Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bootsale bargain - Optimus 8R for £1

Bootsale bargain - Optimus 8R for £1

Picked up this little beauty for a quid this afternoon, its in a bit of a state but im hoping to clean and restore it to use as my backpack stove. Anybody know anything about them ?

In nature there are no rewards or punishments: there are consequences.

interesting find. Would love to see some photographs when you have restored it.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Will do , a little digging on the net and i found this repair guide
    http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s...c.php?tid/137/
    In nature there are no rewards or punishments: there are consequences.

fuel tank looks a bit close to the dangerous end to me

good find
    [

Lucky beggar, thats a cracking price and find. Never owned that particular model but all the ones Ive had/have run on parrafin and heat up with meths in the saucer/cup under the burner. They are a noisy stove, not unlike a Vulcan taking off, lol not for stealth camp. I believe that they will also run on white spirits, red/white derv and Coleman fuel, although I have never tried any of these.I believe there are also petrol versions of this type of stove but again I have never come across one myself.ATB in your restoration, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

that'll be nice when you've fettled it, nice resto guide
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

lovely find, keep us posted
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Very nice find. This is an early model 8R, the stamping on the lid and round sticker show the period. There are a few vids on the tube about them. I have one on my channel that shows my 8R hunter,99 and 199 stoves. The 8R and 99 have the same stove with different cases.

It is such a good design that it has been copied for use by many eastern block countries military and several knock off camping models exist also. Optimus still make a model today that has a vinyl tank called the hiker plus.

The safest thing to use in it to test it would be coleman fuel. There are various models within the 8R range that are either multi fuel units or petrol. Coleman fuel should let you know if it's working at least.

The 8R is a real character of a stove and when that chinook roar cracks through the silence of a morning you'll be smitten. I was.