Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesco's selling Jews Ears Fungi!!

Tesco's selling Jews Ears Fungi!!

Now that I've finally got my issues sorted out with uploading pics (thanks Ashley et al) I thought that you might be interested in this.

I saw this at Tesco's today and nearly passed out.

Jews ears aka wood ears for sale at over £74 per kilo!!

I put this on twitter too and its been retweeted so many times now, it can't just be me that finds it insane.

Ade

But also for you'r £74.75 you do get Clubcard points aswell Ade.

Trapper
    [splittin' hairs]

Firstly, those aren't jew's ears. "Wood ear" is the common name of a related species with the latin name Auricularia polytricha. It grows in warmer climates, not in the UK. Not much difference from a culinary point of view though.

Secondly, they are dried. Have you ever tried drying Jew's ears? I have, and I can tell you that you have to pick a load of them before they'll weight 1kg dried. Reconstituted, 1kg of dried ones makes a lot of ear mushrooms.

[/splittin' hairs]

Nice to see them on sale though.
    Last edited by jus_young; 09-09-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Can I just remind folk of the forum guidelines to be found in the 'intro' section, particularly the part relating to swearing and grawlixes!

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Can I just remind folk of the forum guidelines to be found in the 'intro' section, particularly the part relating to swearing and grawlixes!
    Sorry buddy did I swear?

Ade

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    as a new member and not wanting to break any rules, can someone highlight the "wrong bit" as Im sat here reading all these posts for about the fourth time and I cant see any swearing, as for grawlixes, as I dont know what that is, surely I can't be found to doing it???

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcatcher View Post
    as a new member and not wanting to break any rules, can someone highlight the "wrong bit" as Im sat here reading all these posts for about the fourth time and I cant see any swearing, as for grawlixes, as I dont know what that is, surely I can't be found to doing it???
    I suspect I'm the g**lty party here. ;-D

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dann View Post
    I suspect I'm the g**lty party here. ;-D
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dann View Post
    [splittin' hairs]

Firstly, those aren't jew's ears. "Wood ear" is the common name of a related species with the latin name Auricularia polytricha. It grows in warmer climates, not in the UK. Not much difference from a culinary point of view though.

Secondly, they are dried. Have you ever tried drying Jew's ears? I have, and I can tell you that you have to pick a load of them before they'll weight 1kg dried. Reconstituted, 1kg of dried ones makes a lot of ear mushrooms.

[/splittin' hairs]

Nice to see them on sale though.
    ok, but still cant see any swearing, so are we talking grawlixes, whatever they are ?????????

Guilty bit was deleted and yes it was Geoff

scandalous prices, really gets me that some people think they can charge this kind of money for some mushrooms seriously, i bet the farmer(s) dont see anywhere near that price for a tonne of them.

Ratcatcher, the reason you can see whats wrong here is because the post has been edited by a moderator, so if you see something like this "Last edited by Joe bloggs; Today at 06:16 AM." at the bottom left hand corner of the post, its been changed to fit the forum rules or because some one made a spelling mistake or similar.

cheers

Madz
    I'm a simple man, pleased by simple things...................Nature wins.

Take your time and do not rush, take in every thing while out in the brush.