Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Things around the house to use

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Enough for a bowdrill
    Aha thank you lol again you could just use the shoe lace for that but why not lol.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    1. Tampons to light fires they have water proof protection and fluff up nicely.
    2. Condoms a decent strong one (Neutral in tatse) Can carry water.
    3. The wifes tights can keep your legas warm as an extra layer (and if your really stuck can have fun in the bedroom LOL).

Anyone else got some tips or maybe advice I could be wrong on some of my ideas so far?

Ben
    Yes to all three Ben - also large binliners (can be used as shelter or poncho). I carry 2 in my daybag. BBQ firelighters - a fraction of the cost of hexamine/esbit and go well off a firesteel when crumbled. Metal skewers cut to length for hobo stove pot stand - ive bent the ends of mine so thet cant fall out if i need to move the stove. A cut down wooden spoon or chopstick for a D ring cook lifter (for the SAT stove) or similar. And finally (for now) - stove tape stuck to the low side of your meths burner as an additional priming aid.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Quote Originally Posted by Realbark View Post
    Yes to all three Ben - also large binliners (can be used as shelter or poncho). I carry 2 in my daybag. BBQ firelighters - a fraction of the cost of hexamine/esbit and go well off a firesteel when crumbled. Metal skewers cut to length for hobo stove pot stand - ive bent the ends of mine so thet cant fall out if i need to move the stove. A cut down wooden spoon or chopstick for a D ring cook lifter (for the SAT stove) or similar. And finally (for now) - stove tape stuck to the low side of your meths burner as an additional priming aid.
    Cheers Realbark I forgot all about the bin liners and your right about the BBQ Firelighters there. I will have to see what you mean about the skewers and chop sticks tho.
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

I havent worked out how to post pics yet (asks for a url instead of browse computer) - Anyway, my usual hobo stove is from a steel strainer type thing full of holes. The billy support is 2 x flat skewers with a loop at one end and a 90 degree bend at the other to support your billycan. Its adjustable height (in various holes) makes it suitable for woodburning, at high level - and meths stove inside, at low level.

The chopsticks just make a handle for the D rings to lift. People use deadwood but here on the fens we have not got many trees - so i carry the stick. About 6" is fine to stop you burning your fingers on the SAT

Quote Originally Posted by Bambii View Post
    Why wouldnt you just use laces instead of replacing laces with paracord. No offence but this seems kind of pointless.
    Hi Bambii, fair question.

As the others have said strength is one reason, fire starting is another. If you use the real deal it gives you seven cores that have a breaking strain of around 70 lbs each and a mantle that has a 60lb breaking strain. My boots contain 1.5 meters a boot, this can also be said of the draw cords at hem and waist. The draw cord around my hood works out at a meter.

All in all I have seven meters of Paracord or 49 meters of the cores with a breaking strain of 70lbs. The cores can be used for manufacturing night lines, lashing shelters and anything else I require a bit of string for. Remember I still have the mantle that can be used as laces, or draw cords for my clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambii View Post
    Aha thank you lol again you could just use the shoe lace for that but why not lol.
    Abrasion resistance and strength, a shoe or boot lace will not last very long. Most shoe laces if made from a manmade material will begin to melt if you lock the drill up too frequently. If they are of a natural fibre invariably they have not the abrasion resistance. It all comes down to technique really, but when you are tired or under pressure is when you are more likely to make mistakes. Optimise whatever chances you have.

And - old 35mm camera film cases for tea/sugar/powdered milk etc. Drawstring sunglasses or similar bags for storing same...........Tobbacco pouch doubles nicely as a tinder type wallet (cut off the rizla holder if you have one). Cotton buds as match firelighters. And although not really a bushcraft piece you can use old toothbrushes (apart from cleaning old teeth) for cleaning boots, leather and general kit.

i always keep my ice cream tubs, and the plastic containers which yer chinese takeaway food comes in very robust containers and do come in handy
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Cheapo tarp made into a very strong hammock:

My girlfriend approved:

Love the pictures where were they taken?
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses