Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Things around the house to use

A lot of good tips here many thanks all.
    English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God.

On U boats in the last crew were issued with extra large condoms to store their personnel stuff in. U boats were always wet inside.

Chafing Dish Fuel,200g tins,for food warmers,catering section trade warehouse,50p,a tin,a fifth of the price of Ethanol Gel in camping shops.

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Chafing Dish Fuel,200g tins,for food warmers,catering section trade warehouse,50p,a tin,a fifth of the price of Ethanol Gel in camping shops.
    Good spot
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Quote Originally Posted by Bambii View Post
    That sounds like a womans handbag to me

You can use a condom for fire aswell, use it like a magnifying glass.
    Have seen a vid of that done with the condom full of water or pee, can't remember where. Also seen tights used as a support for graduated water filter but never tried the technique so I'm not sure how effective it is. Also I did hear that tights were the most unpopular invention in the underworld of early 20thcentury Ireland... as it then took two to rob a bank.. ... ... sorry couldn't resist ...
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Just been playing around with some old bits of kit, and it dawned on me...
    Now this may seem incredibly obvious, but the lid/cup part of an old stainless steel flask, can be reused as two parts of a lightweight and/or emergency cook kit.

This is the lid/cup straight off of the flask...

With a little persuasion (using hands only/no tools for this particular one), the liner of the lid/cup is free...

This gives you a small stainless steel pot to heat food/water in, as well as a small plastic cup to drink from, without burning your lips.
    After all, drinking was what it was designed for

Now the two parts have been separated, they sit snugly back together, and come apart with very little effort.

Should be able to sit a small stove, or a tinder kit inside the cup too, but a metal item to boil water in is essential in a desperate situation, where you need sterile fluids.

Like I said, obvious use really, also super quick and simple to fashion
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Like your thinking Adam, atb Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Mmmm and i still wouldnt advocate its use on anyone but yourself
    Likewise, would not like to see the patients face while the nurse scrubbed it out at A+E either

Electrical tape is good for closing wounds when you can get a full round on it (extremities etc.)
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    Likewise, would not like to see the patients face while the nurse scrubbed it out at A+E either

Electrical tape is good for closing wounds when you can get a full round on it (extremities etc.)
    Nowt to scrub out ,it forms a crust/ clot on top to stop bleeding and its not for using on huge gashes just those cuts that bleed profusely. Try it, you'll be suprised !
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    My house is pretty boring, then I go back and see mum. Mums a nurse the stuff I have found on the side if her uniforms are in the wash has meant I've got an amazingly well stocked FAK. Best of it is when the reps turn up. She have me a tourniquet the other day....... Don't know what to use it for yet. I suppose I'll come up with somthing.
    Last edited by Midge_Fodder; 18-02-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Typo
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk