Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coats and/or Poncho's good or not ?

Coats and/or Poncho's good or not ?

I was thinking about a new coat, it's the last thing on my clothing list.

The problem is whether to get a water proof one or one that i can sit round the fire in ! (I don't see the sense in camping without fire).
    So i was thinking about getting a poncho for when it rains and a windproof fire/spark/ember resistant coat for when i'm in the woods.

Another problem arises then when i go for a trek, i need a coat the is breathable to stop me getting wet via perspiration !!

??? IS THERE SUCH A COAT ???
    Thank you for your help and thoughts...
    There's no brew without fire.

Wool....... my guess would be a light waterproof outer layer you can put on/take off when needed, but focus on a wool main coat for relative windproofness, warmth and fireproofness. Pretty much what I'm doing, and I haven't seen too many fires throw embers around while it's raining.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I believe Ventile will cover most of the bases you are looking for Klause. Never owned a garment made from it but it has a very good reputation. The only trouble is that when it does finally get saturated it will be very heavy and will take a while to dry out.

Don't be fooled by the Goretex, eVent, MVP materials. I have a very expensive (over £200) GoreTex Proshell coat and when I sweat I get wet. I've had an eVent material waterproof before and it wasn't any better hence why I chose Goretex this time. The solution to getting wet inside your coat is, to a certain extent, ventilation and if you don't ventilate and you run hot or are physically exerting yourself you will get wet.

For 'bushcraft' camps, I wear a polycotton M65 jacket which is fairly windproof. Under this I layer up to keep warm and, on the rare occasions it rains, I have a DD poncho which is waterproof and also acts as a ground sheet under my hammock and tarp set up. If I'm out walking, I rely on my more 'technical' clothes to keep the rain off and to keep me warm when I stop. If it rains in camp, I tend to go to bed.

Bit of a rambling reply but it's a huge subject with a multi million pound industry behind it.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

A second vote for wool too, my coat is an old fireman coat, 100% wool, my theory being if anyone knows about spending time around fire and water,they do

Regards, Matt.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

I have my old combat jacket for hanging around a fire and another jacket from a camping shop for if it gets wet. The good thing with an old style combat jaket is it roles up into a small pocket it has and becomes a small pillow and isnt to big to cart around.
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

A good treated polycotton jacket, like a Fjällräven G1000 or Pinewood TC-1200 jacket.

Tribal Elder
    I got a swedish army poncho. Its very water proof, not at all breathable though.... Like Martin's poncho it can be used as a ground sheet too. Very affordable and windproof is the upside. Downside is its a complete pig to pack.

Thank you all for replying, I think the way forward (because i'm struggling) is an amalgamation of all you ideas.

1) Matt, i love the concept of an old firemans coat (i'll have to look into that one).

2) Martin, Ventile jackets are out of my price range at the moment (single father of four lol.) but you never know if i'm realy good Santamight bring me one in the future (i doubt it !).

3) Ben, i have a 'Nato Dessert windproof smock' which i use now, so i think i'll incorperate that.

4) Mike, i think i'm gona use your idea and find a woolen jumper to use under my smock and find some sort of waterproof outer (i might try to waterproof my smock).

5) Nighttrain, i think i'll maybe get a poncho (exped pocho) if i cant waterproof my smock.

Thank you all for your input & feel free to comment further as my decision isnt set in stone (they never are !).
    P.S. Thanks Jeep, i realy loved the look af the 'Fjällräven G1000' (found one on offer for £180 but didnt have fat boy sizes left !) but polycotton and fire dont mix (so ive read).
    Last edited by klause; 26-01-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    There's no brew without fire.

Barbour jacket when I'm working: I've just had to replace mine after 30 years of use and it broke my heart when I saw the price of a replacement
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Barbour jacket when I'm working: I've just had to replace mine after 30 years of use and it broke my heart when I saw the price of a replacement
    well worth every penny though