Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Improve Coma's Kit

" Charcoaler "
    all opinions of course i have a silky gomtaro 300mm if you dont mind one in a sheath . a bit expensive again but very good i was a tree surgeon many moons ago and most people of that profession swear by them

Tribal Elder
    Well I'd prefare a folder just for space economy... Can see an opinel no12 for £25 so its not too big a deal... is it worth getting the no18(the 9 inch blade)?

Quote Originally Posted by marcus absent View Post
    all opinions of course i have a silky gomtaro 300mm if you dont mind one in a sheath . a bit expensive again but very good i was a tree surgeon many moons ago and most people of that profession swear by them
    Don't get me wrong mate, I have used the Silky's and they are very nice, but as I was replying to a question on folding saws and not having experience of the pocket boys, Gomboys or Bigboy saws then I wasn't going to comment.

You have a valid point though.

Mors's idea on carrying a folding saw is "Yeah cos it makes life easier to make a bigger saw." So he would use the folding saw to then make a bucksaw and the Silky's fit into that niche somewhere between a bow and a folder very nicely, being capable of doing both jobs reasonably well.

" Charcoaler "
    i think its all down to personal preference, its just nice to be able to ask a question on here and get an honest answer, if this site had been around years ago it would have saved us all a headache and a fortune, the tinterweb is an amazing thing , iam putting all my shoe leather in a jar and when its full i am going to buy a thermarest neoair mat as my bones poke through my skin nowadays, when i was a boy i could sleep stood up in a phone box ,all the best leon-1

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Well I'd prefare a folder just for space economy... Can see an opinel no12 for £25 so its not too big a deal... is it worth getting the no18(the 9 inch blade)?
    You can get the No12 for just under £22 delivered from here

There are down sides to the Opinels, the No12 if you damage the blade means you'll have to buy another No12 because there is no way to replace the blades and they don't sell spares. The No18 is a good saw, but if you damage the blade if you're lucky it'll cost £20 to replace the blade.

Opinels are nice to look at, they have a similar tooth pattern to an arborists saw, but they are expensive to buy and it'll cost you to replace the blade on the one where you can replace the blade.

This is one reason that the Laplander is popular. You get the longer blade that locks closed as well as open and replacement blades are cheaper, on top of that the initial cost is about £17 inclusive of delivery.

Wire saws are a waste of time they always break and are also crap for snares.
    We get human powered chain saws over here, sometimes called a can saw, it is possible to make one from a chain saw blade.
    I carry a bow saw blade length of my arm, using my Morra or Skookum knife plus baton can quickly make the necessary frame to turn it into a 'bush bow saw'.
    Folding saws are nice to carry when you have a vehicle of some kind to carry all that extra gear,dog sled ,canoe ,pulk ,4x4 truck or you just need it to do some finer saw cuts for crafting and don't mind packing it on your back.

For fire I just use a disposable lighter taped onto my knife with lots of duct tape (good for tent, tarp, clothing repair) water proof matches and Zirconium Rod.

I try not to use any pressure powered stove as there is more to break down I have always used the 'Trangia' Meths system when using store bought cooking systems.

" Charcoaler "
    further to my last post, i went to the doctor about uncomfortable mats and my old bones , i asked him for HRT tablets coz i thought it meant hip right through, the tablets didnt help but you should see my breasts

" Charcoaler "
    this post seems to have disappeared, if its because of my humour i apologise . on a serious note i want a decent sleeping bag not mummy style cost not to important just want to be warm and comfortable. must be machine washable thankks

Tribal Elder
    the hrt one? i liked it...i can still see it :P

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by mahikan View Post
    I carry a bow saw blade length of my arm, using my Morra or Skookum knife plus baton can quickly make the necessary frame to turn it into a 'bush bow saw'.
    I seen RM doing this once.... didnt really feel convinced its as simple as bending some hazel around your blade....