Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: British 100/120ltr bergen help request

Samuel Hearne
    I have the old issue green bergan and it is a long back I am 5' 11" (180 cms) and fits well without webbing and the waist belt sits on my hips I also have the short back in green which I used to use when wearing webbing, other wise I have a few other bergans and have found the issue ones are bomb proof unlike the civvi ones that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurwaythere View Post
    Cheers for the link dude, much appreciated
    welcome to the forum, it is customary to pop into the intro thread and post there, and have a look through the forum rules, if you wouldn't mind
    I'm a simple man, pleased by simple things...................Nature wins.

Take your time and do not rush, take in every thing while out in the brush.

Not bad prices there, has anyone dealt with ex-mod-textiles? Could be after one of these myself...........

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi Big T.
    Firstly I have no connection to ex-mod textiles other than having been a regular customer for some time. Ex-mod is a joint venture concern with the MOD and in having had many purchases I have never had a problem. Would say it is well worth hunting about the site as sometimes you find some gems tucked away in odd sections. Strangest thing I found was HMS Ark Royal aircraft carrier for sale, with an add to cart button. No price was given and after some thought decided it may have been outside my budget. Still was very tempted to see what happened if I was to click on the button.

If you haven't bought yet have a look see if you could get a berghaus cyclops second hand as these were the model sack that they copied the plce off and IMHO a lot better sack

Quote Originally Posted by roberts View Post
    If you haven't bought yet have a look see if you could get a berghaus cyclops second hand as these were the model sack that they copied the plce off and IMHO a lot better sack
    agree....got one myself...30 years old if its a day still going strong
    [

I'll agree totally with Mr Sapper. The long back Bergen is the one to go for out of all the military gear (genuine or repro). The long pack will still feel like it is sitting high up on your back though, for the reason Sapper mentions, without webbing pouches to sit on.
    I use the 120 long back, and I'm 5'10". It's my pack of choice, due to the vast amount of usable space compared to other "supposedly" 120L packs.
    Was out over the weekend with it actually, fully loaded and wet it weighed in at 31kgs (far too much kit ), but it felt comfy for the 1.5 mile walk to the site.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I've got to be honest with you say this pack would be the last pack I'd rush out to buy. Webbing, no webbing, hippo pad, cushion, whatever, it makes no difference. It hard as nails, you could fill it with a crushed car and drop it from space and it would dust off and be carried as it was designed. It's just nowhere near as comfy as say the highlander version (BJ & youngun of bury on here enjoy them). Much better back support & hip support. Half the price and a nice colour green. Much better balance. Adequate zips and a rain cover attached to the top pocket part of the pack.
    On the PLCE Bergen the day pack and yoke set up is used only by people who have invested a bit too much in the bag. It's not that good and it's likely to stay on the Bergen. It was my first supersize pack after researching lots, review after review, wanting to stretch my sterling.
    Even after cutting weight I knew it wouldn't be my last pack. The same kit popped into my second hand karrimoor makes the Bergen feel like a boulder in comparison. (It does weigh the same as a small Honda). It can actually become painful over distances of a few miles upwards. I'm a nice chap and if anyone who I cared about were to go on a long march with me I'd let them have mine and I'd take the PLCE Bergen because they wouldn't come again.

Tough, durable, trusted. But:
    Not designed with comfort in mind.
    Over priced, poor poor support in comparison to others.
    Tendency to fill it with the world.

Just my opinion
    The true measure of a man is how he treats one who can give him nothing

Really? I find the Bergen one of the most comfortable packs to wear. My Karrimor's are no where near as comfy. The Bergen sits nice and high, whereas a lot of backs can sit too low. Maybe it's because I have the long back version, maybe the secret is in the packing of it, but to say they aren't designed for comfort isn't entirely true. They designed them to be carried for long distances, with a lot of weight inside them.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel