Thread: Rock steady Eddie

Rock steady Eddie

I'm taking more and more picture lately, mostly outside. Many houses ago I was given a reasonable tripod as a gift. Needless to say It's been lost. Taking photographs in the outdoors environment, can anyone suggest a small, easily pack awayable tripod/clamp? I keep looking at those ones where the joints are balls and they seem to wrap round things. Either that or my friend has a fishing 'bank stick' with a camera attachment on the top, which he uses as a walking stick too.
    What would you do?
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I have one of the ones with the connected balls. Got it from Aldi or Lidl on one of their special offers. It works fine, is a little heavy but does exactly what you want it to.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 24-01-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi mate I'm just surfing the net aat the min and found this link at LIDL don't know if it is any good but it might help

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_17503.htm
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Just an idea, but why not take a bolt with the correct thread size for a camera and then grind one end to a point so you can hammer it into any stick you come across? The stick can be sharpened to a point and stuck in the ground. Home-made monopod attachment?

Hobo
    I would say it depends on what camera you're using and how serious you are about the photos you're taking. I've also got one of those with the connected balls (Gorillapod) bought on sale at Asda for a couple of quid. I only use that with my point and shoot type digital camera. If I'm taking serious photos I use a digital SLR and fairly good quality tripod and head by Giottos which is actually pretty heavy even though it's aluminium. I also have a tripod that's older than myself (I'm 31) that I've "borrowed" from my dad if I'm walking distance. It's pretty lightweight and chewy to use in comparison but up to the job. I personally don't feel I would trust a Gorillapod even though they manufacture a SLR version.
    If you're using a point and shoot then I cant see any reason why you shouldn't go with the Gorillapod as they're comparatively light and cheap. You should think on that you will have to use the things around you to bring the camera to the height that you want. I also find I have problems making sure the camera is level.
    I think I would personally favour a tripod over a monopod as in low light there's a good chance that you won't be able to hold the camera still enough. There are a number of fairly reasonably priced "travel" tripods available, though I haven't used any so can't really comment.

Wanderer
    I have just had the new LIDL leaflet shoved through the letterbox.... They have a telescopic camera tripod 365g at 7.99!

I use a gorilla pod, found it aok for the Snapping I do

Dave
    Last edited by KERNOW KELT; 26-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Get a Benbo compact Traveller c/w a decent Gitzo head. Benbo tripods are so adaptable for the "nature" photographer

One thing to bear in mind if you do get a lightweight tripod, in the wind it can easily fall over, it has happened to me before. Easily remedied by the propping a bag or similar against it or hanging something from under the centre of the tripod to give it some weight while you take a shot. I haven't had very good experiences with the gorillapods but they are fine if you have a compact camera.