Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tampon

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

The Tampon

hello,
    I thought I would share this little gem with NBC as I recently was teaching about the contents of a Survival Tin (old school method) what was used on Escape & Evasion Training etc. I was asked, "Why was there a girls Tampon contained in the tin?"
    The multi-functional Tampon Tactical Adventure Medical Preparedness Outdoors Necessity a tampon has a list of many survival functions here are a few -

Water Filter, fill a water bottle with water, place tampon inside the bottle top, pour, used to filter out sediments and floating particles. Water has to be boiled/treated afterwards safety precaution.

Survival Straw Filter, 'Yes' a Survival Straw, improvised from the plastic housing and cotton from a tampon. Water can be sucked up through the tube, again I would suggest treating the water beforehand boil first, or in a dire situation the improvised drinking tube 'could' be used as per instructions, untreated water, but not advisable.

Fire Tinder, When the dry cotton fibers of a tampon are teased apart, these are then used as tinder with flint & steel, they will ignite reasonably well. Pre-treated with Petrolium Jelly as alternative tinder fire starter. Have utilised such soaked in lighter fluid.

Medical Bandage, the tampon unravelled used with Duct or Gaffa Tape making them perfect for a temporary first aid bandage.

String from Tampon, used as Cordage/Wick for a improvised candle.

Waterproof Match & Fire Tinder Case, the waterproof tampon package/sleeve makes an excellent improvised “dry-sack” for any items that are moisture sensitive works ok with matches, open end sealed with string from tampon.

Survival Fishing Float, both the plastic housing & the waterproof package (cover) both can be improvised for fishing floats. The waterproof package can be air filled & tied with the string from the tampon, ok it doesn't hold air as you would expect, but inflates & does work 'floats'.

All these methods have been tried & tested on Selection Training Escape & Evasion (old school) taught by the best
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    I thought I would share this little gem with NBC as I recently was teaching about the contents of a Survival Tin (old school method) what was used on Escape & Evasion Training etc. I was asked, "Why was there a girls Tampon contained in the tin?"
    The multi-functional Tampon Tactical Adventure Medical Preparedness Outdoors Necessity a tampon has a list of many survival functions here are a few -

Water Filter, fill a water bottle with water, place tampon inside the bottle top, pour, used to filter out sediments and floating particles. Water has to be boiled/treated afterwards safety precaution.

Survival Straw Filter, 'Yes' a Survival Straw, improvised from the plastic housing and cotton from a tampon. Water can be sucked up through the tube, again I would suggest treating the water beforehand boil first, or in a dire situation the improvised drinking tube 'could' be used as per instructions, untreated water, but not advisable.

Fire Tinder, When the dry cotton fibers of a tampon are teased apart, these are then used as tinder with flint & steel, they will ignite reasonably well. Pre-treated with Petrolium Jelly as alternative tinder fire starter. Have utilised such soaked in lighter fluid.

Medical Bandage, the tampon unravelled used with Duct or Gaffa Tape making them perfect for a temporary first aid bandage.

String from Tampon, used as Cordage/Wick for a improvised candle.

Waterproof Match & Fire Tinder Case, the waterproof tampon package/sleeve makes an excellent improvised “dry-sack” for any items that are moisture sensitive works ok with matches, open end sealed with string from tampon.

Survival Fishing Float, both the plastic housing & the waterproof package (cover) both can be improvised for fishing floats. The waterproof package can be air filled & tied with the string from the tampon, ok it doesn't hold air as you would expect, but inflates & does work 'floats'.

All these methods have been tried & tested on Selection Training Escape & Evasion (old school) taught by the best
    Regards
    David
    Never leave home without 1 or 3, very versatile,
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Samuel Hearne
    We used to carry them with FFD's (first field dressing) and was taught to use them for gunshot wounds (entry) and I have used them for that, I have always had them in my med kit.

Have a film pot in my possibles pouch with 3 in

Trapper
    Never leave home without one

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Keep a few in the 1st Aid kit, Survival Tin, & tinder box too
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Have a film pot in my possibles pouch with 3 in

I'm gonna share this! Knew a lot of uses for it, this is an even longer list of uses, thanks David!

Finally, good, honest discussion about the many uses of tampons without everyone falling to pieces claiming that "it's embarrassing" .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

This gives men more ability to be proud about buying tampons, they can claim they are buying for survival use......which in itself makes it funny because of its intended purpose.......

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    This gives men more ability to be proud about buying tampons, they can claim they are buying for survival use......which in itself makes it funny because of its intended purpose.......
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.