Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a fishing rod?

What constitutes a fishing rod?

I've been thinking about getting a hobo line for fishing but then found out that they are illegal for use on inshore waters - DOH! SO, after reading some other posts about packable rods etc i thought i'd ask the experts exactly what constitutes a fishing "rod" to see if a simple alteration to the hobo line would make it legal. here is my original question to the Environment Agency.......

"Can you please tell me exactly what constitutes a "rod". I have seen hand lines for sale which i understand are not legal for river fishing etc for trout for example. However, i have heard that if you have a short stick attached to the hand line (Hobo line) and that the line goes through an eye at the end of it then that would be legal. Could you clarify the situation please?"

And here is the answer, (It only took them two weeks to give the answer. Apparently it was a complex question according to the first email reply i got lol!).....

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding fishing rods and the definition of a rod. You are correct that handlines are illegal instruments for fishing in inland waters. The only exception to this is a crab line which may be used for the specific purpose of capturing crabs although this type of line has no hook attached.It is our opinion that any length of material used to tie a line and baited hook to and catch fish constitutes a rod. This could range from a walking stick, garden cane or tree branch through to a purpose made “fishing rod”. Therefore if you were to tie a handline to a rod it would be a legal fishing technique. You would require a National rod licence for this.
    I hope this answers your question satisfactorily however if you would like to discuss this further please give me a call on the number below.
    Kind regards

Anyway at least they gave a nice clear answer which by my interpretation means i can use a hobo line anywhere as long as i attach a short stick to it and i have the licence of course!

Just thought this information may be of use to any fellow budding hobo liners out there.

Neil.
    Last edited by jus_young; 16-08-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Great post Neil.

I think that the reply from them is plain and simple enough. As for the Rod License, I wouldn't mind paying this as all the money received go back into protecting our national waterways.

Neil, I have taken the personal and contact details off the post before the poor chap is inundated with calls, either unwanted or meant with the best of intentions.

This does clarify a question that I believe has come up on here before. Would be interesting to see what folks come up with now to make their hand lines legal and portable.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Would be interesting to see what folks come up with now to make their hand lines legal and portable.

Possibly another use for my spare fold up elasticated tent poles

Trapper
    This is what I have LINK with a bit of imagination it could be classed as a very short rod ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKikE6Z2g1q6gBPiwosB)(w~~60_12.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	9842
    Last edited by John_McC; 16-08-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added picture

Jus_young thanks for that. i hadn't realised i'd cut and pasted his contact details as well in my haste! DOH!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Possibly another use for my spare fold up elasticated tent poles
    Wouldn't be much different than the collapsible poles I use so could work quite nicely if you can find a secure way of fixing an eyelet at the end

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Wouldn't be much different than the collapsible poles I use so could work quite nicely if you can find a secure way of fixing an eyelet at the end

I'm thinking about maybe using one of my fishing tip eyes, whipping it on with either nylon thread or very light braid and then giving it a few coats of my little girls nail varnish. Its what we did to save money when we were kids.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I've used similar wood Hobo/Reel line on some of the local rivers (with day licence of course) got plenty of waterways to choose from BTW here. Anyway I did once have a chat with the Water Bailiffs & some Official who were parked up near a spot on the bank. As long as I wasn't using illegal baits etc.. catch & release they didn't seem to mind. They were more interested in the method as well as the hook I was testing, a safety pin cut to size tempered & shaped into a hook (size 14). Your idea Chubbs (Neil) if you speak to anyone who threads their own fishing rod eyelets they'll give you some tips & tricks which you could convert a fibre glass type elasticated tent pole no problem. I've tried such with a length of cane, so a tent pole of such types shouldn't be an issue.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by John_McC View Post
    This is what I have LINK with a bit of imagination it could be classed as a very short rod ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKikE6Z2g1q6gBPiwosB)(w~~60_12.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	9842

Just buy a pen rod and yer laughin', easy to stow in yer pocket and copes with fish.