Thread: to BK2 or not to BK2

to BK2 or not to BK2

Hello every one, been looking at the BK&T companion 2nd gen (BK2) but all the review's I have read are a real mixed bag, does anyone have one or used one and what do you think?

mr_moon, I have a 2nd gen BK2. Like the way the handle fills my hand, (large hands) coating protects blade during storage, good quality throughout. I consider this knife a very good survival knife, more than a bushcraft knife... high carbon 1095, 1/4" spine give it that sharpened pry bar quality. This knife looks and feels indestructible, as a good survival knife should, yet is sized to adequately perform bushcraft duties.

BK2 is my choice for a one tool does-all survival knife, but lives with my survival kit as I use other knives for bushcraft.

Phil

Grip is comfy but the blade is way too thick for any kind of cutting, especially with that half bevel. I was sent one to make a better sheath for (the stock one is horrible, mainly the belt loop, the knife spends all it's sheathed time flopping around horizontally from your belt), and better handles (stock are hollow soft plastic, they are comfy to hold but feel cheap) from micarta, and I cleaned it up and put a better edge on. This thing will baton like crazy, but past that, isn't a good knife for bushcraft at all. I'm one that feel even 3/16" is pushing it for my outdoor knives that I will use for more than wood prep (use my 3/16" thick Alpha Wolf for splitting and de-limbing branches, and while it has many different edges on the blade to do all kinds of tasks, I use my 1/8" thick Shaman for most other tasks.)

that looks a tank of a knife

It is, 1/4" thick!! Lol, hence the 'crowbar' reference above.

BK2 spine 1/4" thick:

Phil

So its not to BK2! Haha, I'll have to keep looking. I might get an F1.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    that looks a tank of a knife

My thoughts exactly
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins