Page 4 of 646 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Just got a Helle Viking knife (more medieval than viking actually), for my re-enactment kit - aswell as a German Helko Werk Classic Line Meisterstück (masterpiece) 1100g axe.

Helko axes are quite cheap. This one goes for around D.Kr. 349,- w. forged head and hickory handle, it is looking quite good aswell as having a nice weight and balance to it. The edge needs a bit of work though. The included leather edge protector is very basic, w. a tacky velcro closing, but it does the job allright.

Helko makes a really nice 500g hatchet for around D.Kr. 199,- w. forged head and ash handle. I have bought a few of those for the store.

Ive just oredered some Army rations and the old type Clasp knife the tin opener on it is brill
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

A Kelly Kettle: I've wanted one for ages
    My only critisism is that they are quite fragile and dent very easily. Working in woodlands and things need to be fairly robust so now I handle the thing like it's rotten eggs
    They do light and boil as well as any of the YouTube demos show; nice to get something that lives up to its hype. They're just a bit too bulky for backpacking though.
    I got mine from Lakeland Bushcraft. They sometimes have "returns" so if you want one it's worth asking
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    A Kelly Kettle...
    See also the M-Kettle. More pricey but much more packable:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...tle-Comparison

Steve

Yesterday:

Found an abandoned Hultafors axe (a size larger than the one I already have) at the Brigsted campsite. Quite new, but with a badly chipped edge. From the rust on the head, I would say it had been there for a few days. Probably forgotten by the same group of scouts(?), that had left the campsite littered with pieces of string (tied into a variety of knots) and a number of black spots from lighting small fires all over the place, even a couple only a few meters from the wooden shelter!! There is a nice large firepit with benches around it, at the campsite, the only place where you are allowed to light a fire, there is even a sign informing you that!!
    I have decided to fix the axe up and either donate it to my own scout group or keep it as a spare - I know that is technically stealing, but having seen how these people have treated our favourite campsite, I have a hard time feeling bad about it really.

Today:

Petzl Tikka XP2 Core - needed a serious gadget fix

16 cm. classic Müller's Water Grindstone - about time I got myself a good larger "fine" stone
    Last edited by JEEP; 31-01-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Two UCO candle lanterns. Neat stuff!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Right!!!

1. Emergency Medical Kits Emergency Bivvy.
    2. Blizzard Bag
    3. 2L Platypus Water Pouch
    4. Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS/Heart Monitor
    5. Aldi Spotting Scope

Not bad for the first week in February but I must admit, I did ask permission to buy the Garmin.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Bought 2x army thermal bottoms and 2x army thermal tops for me and the missus from my Army Surplus guy on the market. Paid £15 for the lot. Getting ready for the Cornwall RV.

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Two UCO candle lanterns. Neat stuff!
    I saw that they have a new micro version. It takes tea lights and collapses the same as it's big brother but I can't find anywhere that sells them yet

Some bright spark suggested I go look at the British Blades forum.

I was brainwashed into pre-ordering one of these:

...like I needed one, huh?

p.s. Got a bit of an addiction problem with Hennie Haines at the moment.
    Last edited by Fletching; 04-02-2011 at 06:53 PM.