Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Fine grit sanding paper, a roll of hemp twine, 10 pack of matchboxes, a passport wallet on a string ...uh, make that a fire/ survival kit wallet to hang around the neck
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

New Enamel mug . Hex blocks and 20m of Paracord. Along with my wood carving mag .
    Well happy

Cheers
    AL

Trapper

Talking Enamel Tiffin Box

Was in Poundland today looking for a stainless steel storage jar to convert to a billy can (as per a previous excellent posting) - no luck there but....
    .... found these which I don't know if are long-term durable but look alright (and at a pound each....)

Only real fault is that because the catches sit on top of the lid you can't stack them too well.

To give an idea of size I have included that universal measuring scale - 1 PG Tips tea-bag!

Obviously this opens up a whole new discussion as to which is the correct metric version of measuring T-bag - is it the PG tips, the Yorkshire Tea bag or the Scottish Blend (up here in Scotland we find that the scottish blend works best when measuring liquids!)

PS They had other outdoor stuff but most was tat - though had decent enough small enamel mugs and screwtop metal 500ml liquid bottles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3557.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	4414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3558.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	4415
    Last edited by Hushwing; 26-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Trapper
    Update on the tiffin boxes - if you have fine granule stuff (sugar for example) stored inside a box and you open the lid, the lid seems to suction a small teaspoonful out as you lift it. That scatters across your 'table'. Don't know if this is only when the granules are nearly filling to the top of the box or happens at all levels. Will keep you posted. Bet ya can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Hushwing View Post
    Update on the tiffin boxes - if you have fine granule stuff (sugar for example) stored inside a box and you open the lid, the lid seems to suction a small teaspoonful out as you lift it. That scatters across your 'table'. Don't know if this is only when the granules are nearly filling to the top of the box or happens at all levels. Will keep you posted. Bet ya can't wait
    Have you tried a disc of greaseproof paper on top of your powder/granular ingredients?

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    Have you tried a disc of greaseproof paper on top of your powder/granular ingredients?

Steve
    Hi Steve
    Not tried the greaseproof paper (as don't have any!!) but have temporarily packed in some kitchen towel and that seems to have done the trick. Will go and get the greaseproof tomorrow - thanks much appreciated. Now do they sell that in the same pound shop......? (and what will it cost me.... ) cheers, >Callum

Trapper
    Sorry guys,
    hadn't realised that alvino78 & Kernowek Scouser had already covered these under the Budget Bushcraft forum... that's the problem if you don't come onto this excellent site everyday!!

Hey Callum,

I also recently got myself a Tiffin box from Poundland and have been using it for my brew kit on day hikes.

What I did was get some of the mini food bags, which are about the same size as the money bags and those little wire tie things from there too. Then I measured out an individual servings of my brew concoction into several bags, squeezed out the air, folded the flap, rolled them up and secured them with a wire tie.

I've got ten brew bags in the box plus a hand full of tea bags and a cup a soup and there is still room to spare. In pre mixing my brews this way, I've not experienced the suction effect or had to cope with the faffage you get when trying to spoon various brew ingredients into my cup, in the wind. I just remove the tie, unroll the bag, place the mouth of the bag inside my cup and tip in the contents. No mess, no waste.

Might be something you could try or not.

Good luck.

Colin
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    Hey Callum,

I also recently got myself a Tiffin box from Poundland and have been using it for my brew kit on day hikes.

What I did was get some of the mini food bags, which are about the same size as the money bags and those little wire tie things from there too. Then I measured out an individual servings of my brew concoction into several bags, squeezed out the air, folded the flap, rolled them up and secured them with a wire tie.

I've got ten brew bags in the box plus a hand full of tea bags and a cup a soup and there is still room to spare. In pre mixing my brews this way, I've not experienced the suction effect or had to cope with the faffage you get when trying to spoon various brew ingredients into my cup, in the wind. I just remove the tie, unroll the bag, place the mouth of the bag inside my cup and tip in the contents. No mess, no waste.

Might be something you could try or not.

Good luck.

Colin
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!