Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Not bought them but been given a heap of ex army ration packs, anyone got idea of the eat by date on these? they all have the date of packiging on them and some of them go back to 2005! Had a couple of "fruit dumplings with custard" today after my sunday roast and while they looked like s**t they tasted great(in my opinion... I will eat just about anything!!). Also got a few packs of wind/water proof matches from the same guy. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Not bought them but been given a heap of ex army ration packs, anyone got idea of the eat by date on these? they all have the date of packiging on them and some of them go back to 2005! Had a couple of "fruit dumplings with custard" today after my sunday roast and while they looked like s**t they tasted great(in my opinion... I will eat just about anything!!). Also got a few packs of wind/water proof matches from the same guy. Paul
    British rat packs will last a good 20 years. I ate some in the early 2000s, dating from the 70s, so you'll probably be good for 30 years or more

The official take by the army themselves is 10 years, then they become surplus, but they will last for ever (almost )

Also, with rat packs, the worse it looks, the better it tastes. Just one of those things, no matter how old.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Tribal Elder
    I was talking to my friend who was in the Navy the other day...he was eating rats from the 50s at some point in the 80s or 90s, apparently they had a massive surplus at one of their bases in the med. According to him the packaging usually goes before the food does

Trapper
    Ditto to the two comments above. In the past have eaten 20 yr old rat packs. Still fresh as a daisy. Mac
    There are no strangers, just friends I have not met

The ration packs I was given by GlenM at the RV are dated 2003. The temptation has been to try various bits in it, but I've been strong and only sampled some of the fruit biscuits (so far) and they tasted fine to me, not soft or stale.

I've located a sneaky site overlooking St Michael's Mount and am planning a cheeky overnighter there next week. I'm going to take one of the meals, a pudding, some biscuits (I have lots of biscuits) and a few sundries and see how I go (I may do a little review).

Following on from another gift from the generous GlenM, a Cru cup, I've just placed an order for the Cru cooker, lid, bale and gel fuel at Endys.

I've been toying with the Cru cooking system for a little while, I don't think it will take the place of either my SM Trangia or 27-2, but it may compliment them if wanting a quick brew when cooking a meal. I do think it will be ideal for making a brew/soup/packet meal on day hikes, as it can all pack into a pouch I already have, along with the Cru cup and 58P water bottle. Time will tell.
    Ansum La

I did intend to use them when I was out and about but thought it best to try them at home first and then ask you lot. Didn't fancy A: getting ill when out and B: ending up hungry because all my food was rotten so thanks for the advice guys,think I'l ask my mate for some more. Paul

I've eaten tons of so called out of date rat packs and never had the trots with them, I read somewhere a tin of beef was found still sealed over 100 yrs old test were carried out and it was still deemed to be edible taste had gone a bit but the nutrins were still in the meat !

With rat packs I just make sure while I have them they are stored in the dark away from heat, I still crave the old tin rat pack steak and pigmy pudding and the ten man rat pack chicken supreme lol

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Basha72 View Post
    I've eaten tons of so called out of date rat packs and never had the trots with them, I read somewhere a tin of beef was found still sealed over 100 yrs old test were carried out and it was still deemed to be edible taste had gone a bit but the nutrins were still in the meat !

With rat packs I just make sure while I have them they are stored in the dark away from heat, I still crave the old tin rat pack steak and pigmy pudding and the ten man rat pack chicken supreme lol

Dave
    You're quite right, the bully beef from WWII is still edible, as are some other "ye olde" rations

The rations I was issued when I entered the service in 1989 was made in 1952...
    We used to call it dead man in a tin. It could be eaten fried, boiled, on toast or just straight out of the tin, and you could not take a dump for a week after eating it...I loved it!"
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Just bought a 4.25 Qrt (4.8 Ltr approx according to google, 4 Ltr according to the photo)dutch oven, for £23.99 inc delivery. There are only three left if anyone else wants one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1407398340...ht_3720wt_1139

Last edited by Adam Savage; 16-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.