Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    An Airflo Journeyman 5/6 for my upcoming month long holiday to New Zealand. I've decided if I still like it after a month expatriation is a pretty viable option.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Wild country Hoolie 2. 119.00 from local retailer ready for expedition leader assessment and PW walk next year
    [

Drifting through the car boot this morning I came across a person selling all sorts for £1 each. I took the largest saw blade she had with the intention of cutting some knifes from this steel. (yes, £1 !)

It measures 645 mm (almost 25.5") in diameter.

Time to search the web for some knife designs...

Later that same day... My first Santoku style knife!

Sure the edge is polished and some scratches remain, but over the years to come I'll gradually work them out. Shaving sharp beauty, and I think the rust pits make it that much prettier - almost a forged look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Later that same day... My first Santoku style knife!

Sure the edge is polished and some scratches remain, but over the years to come I'll gradually work them out. Shaving sharp beauty, and I think the rust pits make it that much prettier - almost a forged look.
    Its got "character",Bernie...Have two 18cm Santoku knives,one a damascus 32 layers each side.1 high carbonin middle.(65)
    They are as you state shaving sharp...Santoku...means three virtues...hence the knife can be used to cut ..meat ,fish and vegitables..and I do daily..hope you enjoy it??!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Norwegian army NATO type wool sweater. I belive the UK army uses the same one.
    I wore mine all trough national service and on 3 deployments overseas, then lost it. So nice to have one again :-)

Bought it mostly for the nostalgia, but also because they are nice and warm, and fit the climate here well :-)
    Combine it with a thin fleece Norgie type shirt under it and you got your layers sorted.

The other Norwegian army sweater is to thick and warm to wear most of the time....

Anyway this type is what I got....and found it at the Salvation army charity shop for next to nothing :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	natogenser-m.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	13121
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 23-03-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    ...and found it at the Salvation army charity shop for next to nothing :-)
    We love bargains don't we. A great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    I've still got my norgie shirt.... Awesome kit
    I have a couple of those laying around too. But I have a couple n the same design in modern fleece material. Much better. The original army ones are cotton.
    But yes, nice and warm when dry, but I have been frozen half to death, while standing in the standard NATO hate position while wearing them to many times....thats when you try to stand perfectly still in the middle of your clothes in the vain hope that your skin will not touch your soaking wet cloaths...our kit was really ridicilously bad back when I was in...except for a few items....and I do not count the Norgie ammong them. Actually most Norwegian soldiers can't fathom why the UK soldiers coming over here wanted them at all :-)

We wore them only because if we got caught wearing non standard issue kit, we would not get compensation for cold injuries, and the Norgie was the only uniform kit we had with a long neck....
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 23-03-2015 at 07:47 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcrusher View Post
    Say Thumbcrusher what do think of the Stratos Tent would you recommend it?

Lookes like a good alternative when I cannot use my hammock.

In 1997... I bought a collection of Air Rifles from a woman whose Husband had passed and she wanted them outta the house., she was adamant on the price.'Not a penny more. not a penny less'.

So i handed over the cash and recieved......'about 8 telescopic sights, a bunch of pellets, a few bags, an ASI Paratrooper, Webley Hawk MKIII, BSA Airsporter, A sharp innova in .177, a webley junior air pistol, a webley tempest, 3 el gamo .22 rifles an original 45 all in MINT condition and about enough parts to make 3 or 4 Wheirauch HW 35s............the missus went loonytunes on me... when i told her i spent £250

Funny thing was, after checking and cleanin ( they were an inch of dust on em) them all, fixing up two of the HW35s and selling the lot for over £900 she suddenly wasnt so loonytunes.... so i took her out for a nice steak...and the next day bought a BMW K1OO motorcycle.

Is it any wonder she divorced me?

( Sandy, if your reading this...THANK YOU!)