Page 644 of 646 FirstFirst ... 144544594634635636637638639640641642643644645646 LastLast
Results 6,431 to 6,440 of 6454

Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

A cheap set of leather working tools that will be used once for repairing the sheath for my Enzo knife.

and a King KW65 #1000/#6000 grit japanese whetstone. + some polishing compound for my paddle strop.
    As what I have gathered King stones is supposedly not the king of the hill when it comes to whet stones from the Empire of Japan, but
    it is what I could afford at the moment, and I am certain it will get the job done well enough for me...unless
    the usual thing happens...I get bitten by the shiny kit syndrome and go maniac...

ANyway, it will be a break from my suual mantra that the cheap 4$ stones are good enough (they are)...I jsyt want to try something new :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I use a King stone and find it more than adequate. Gets the blades sharp enough to keep the wife covered in plasters anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    The king stones are just fine actually...
    Keeping them from freezing temperatures and also truing them flat before each session is imperative though...

Good choice on kit purchases Rune!👍👍

I went in to town to buy a new frying pan for my Trangia 27 Storm kitchen as the non-stuck pan that came with it when I bought the set for £4,50 at the local Salvation Army charity shop last year,
    was completely worn out down to the bare metal....not healthy to use.

And came out of the XXL store with an Optimus Nova mulitifuel stove with a conversion kit that allows me to take off the burner unit, and use it in my Trangia kitchen :-)

Tried it today and will make a separate post with pictures etc later tonight.

Anyway I wanted a beter stove than the alcohol burner for the trangia kit for a long time. Trangia makes a multifuel burner for it. Rhat cost 1399NOK. And the Optimus NOVA cost 1299NOK.
    The conversion kit was 59 NOK, and is made by Trangia for the Optimus Nova and the Optimus Nova + :-)

It was a simple task of unscrewing the burner unit, and disconnect the hose and controll valve spindle with thge supplied multi-tool from the burner, and then install the conversion kit. (3 minute job including some faffing).

The burner itself boiled a 1 litre in 5 minutes on charcoal ligher fluid, with a clean burn.

Simmer controll is not up to Optimus 111 standards, but is workable. Allso very light weight and small package, and came with an excellent pouch with pockets for all the extras inside.
    Cant be used with gas canisters, but I have burners for those, so if that is my option I'll just bring one of those.

Oh and it also came with a nice aluminium wind screen :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

After buying that stove, ther ewas still a few coins at the bottom of the jar, so I went on Ebay in ordered som extra molle pouches for the new backpack.
    1. A radio pouch for my VHF radio. Got a set of VHF radios last year for coms between home and when I am in the boat. Started to bring it into the hills as well.
    2. A pouch for my 32oz nalgene bottle and ollicamp cup.
    3. A pouch for the fuel bottle for the stove, so I don't have to carry that inside the backpack. That way if it leaks, it wont go into my food/kit.
    4. another magazine throw pouch, come possibles pouch. I love these and only cost 5£. They have a draw string opening and I keep them on my belt or attach them to my go bag, and us ethem for collecting stuff I find on my way, like tinders, quartz for fire making, berries to munch on, or to add to my whatever I cook etc.
    and finally a foldable wind screen for the new stove, as I did not like the one they supplied with the Optimus Nova. The wind simply blew it away, and that simply won't do. But I may utilize the Nova windscreen in the new alcohol stove that I intend to use with my GI Canteen set.

I am crazy...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Like it all.

And yes, you are

Just been to visit brother in law in South Wales. On a trip out, we went through Sarnau and there's an army surplus shop there. It would have been rude not to stop, so we did. This is the sort of environment where I forage well. Quite soon I had spotted a PLCE long back 100 ltr bergen, complete with side pouches - in olive green!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLCE-OG-BERGEN-1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	14043

These do not often crop up, so....... I bought it. So, my stuff will now go in the green bergen and the dog's stuff can go in the cammo bergen (he's a lucky boy!)
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Well done to both you and the pooch :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Splashed out on this...

Been wanting a swanndri for ages , I don't regret it .... What a beast of a shirt...

Bring on the ice and snow!!
    Last edited by Woody; 15-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.

A block of green polishing compound (for stropping my knife).
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.