Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plucking & Breasting a Wood Pigeon

As do i, very tasty meat, its always surprising to me that most people dont eat it. Then again, people seem to eat with their eyes rather than with their mouths.

I think thats part of it but I think the main reason is not being able to think outside the box. They are now so conditioned to 3 - 4 meats in the butchers, a lot wont eat the offal even off the animals they will eat, so they are never going to eat the poor little fluffy critters that we would eat. Her Indoors wont eat any of it !, even some of the people who have lived in the countryside all their lives turn their noses up at it. Anyway who cares..more for me lol.ATB bro, Ken
    Last edited by Rasputin; 12-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Wanderer
    Squirrel meat tastes sweeter than rabbit, reminds me a bit of roe venison. Difficult to describe a taste. as you say people tend to eat with their eyes perhaps thats why squirrel
    isnt more popular. Still more for me and the Mrs.(she shoots them as well as eats them).

Quote Originally Posted by Bushdoctor View Post
    Squirrel meat tastes sweeter than rabbit, reminds me a bit of roe venison. Difficult to describe a taste. as you say people tend to eat with their eyes perhaps thats why squirrel
    isnt more popular. Still more for me and the Mrs.(she shoots them as well as eats them).

Originally Posted by Bushdoctor

Breast only for me the rest isnt worth the trouble. Pheasents and ducks-breast and legs. Rabbits-all the lot. Squirrels-back and legs(squirrels are very tough to skin but taste better than rabbit)

( Are you of the same mind as me, squirrel has a taste of mild venison ?, Ken )

See above !...... thats what I posted in reply to you on the 10th you must of missed it. But it is very similar isnt it. Good on your misses I say bro.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Many, many moons ago, about 52 to be precise I met an old Gypsy on the side of the road. He was one of the old fashioned ones, horsedrawn painted caravan, piebald pony tethered to a stake eating the grass off the verge, a picture of of rural tranquility. He was whittling away on something, my memory fails me as to what it was as I was more intrigued in what was occurring on his fire. On his fire to the side in the embers was a large ball of mud. I asked him what it was, to be told that if I was to wait there for 1/2 an hour I would find out. This I duly did, and sat by the fire waiting and talking to the old guy, he told me he lived off the land and did some farm work when he could get it, he also said that it was very rare to talk to someone for so long as most people shouted abuse at him and tried to move him on. I didn't understand why as I thought he was a very nice man and still do to this day. How very strange that the type of people that hurled abuse at him are now the type of people who Idealise his lifestyle and would love to travel this way. Anyway back to topic, eventually he took this ball of mud and let it cool slightly and then broke it in 1/2 like an egg. I didn't know what was inside it, just meat I thought ! maybe rabbit ?, He cut a little off and gave it to me and I remember that taste to this day. It was lovely delicate flavour definitely not rabbit ! a lot sweeter I asked what it was and he told me Hedgehog.I have never tasted it since that day and for obvious reasons I never will again, but I have tried this style of cooking with varying results... its best to do it very slowly. And for my next novel lol