Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plucking & Breasting a Wood Pigeon

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Plucking & Breasting a Wood Pigeon

Video by Mark Gilchrist

I was always taught to just take the breasts, not really bothering to pluck fully, I might have to give it a go next time, see how much extra meat you end up with.

Do you bother plucking & use legs or just breast without plucking?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

normal cicumstances, just the breast, in a survival situation the lot
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Peel off the breast

i try to never waste anything, the heart and other bits that he threw in the bin could have made a nice little kebab skewer, also after the legs and breast were removed the guts could have been removed and the carcass used for a soup or stock.

i know he was only showing how to execute both methods, but the first seemed very wasteful

cheers

Madz

Quote Originally Posted by MadZ View Post
    i try to never waste anything, the heart and other bits that he threw in the bin could have made a nice little kebab skewer, also after the legs and breast were removed the guts could have been removed and the carcass used for a soup or stock.

i know he was only showing how to execute both methods, but the first seemed very wasteful

cheers

Madz
    I agree but unless you are Hank Marvin Its such a fiddley job and soo time consuming. I should watch the vid really,lol
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Good video, I have never tried wood pigeon but could quite fancy cooking some over a log fire.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Peel off the breast
    likewise
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    normal cicumstances, just the breast, in a survival situation the lot
    Pretty much agree, unless I'm roasting several birds for a meal, in which case I pluck and draw. Offal goes into the stock for gravy. I pretty much treat pheasant the same.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Pretty much agree, unless I'm roasting several birds for a meal, in which case I pluck and draw. Offal goes into the stock for gravy. I pretty much treat pheasant the same.

Me too, pigeon has nothing worth keeping but the breast, the effort of plucking is just not worth the tiny bit of extra meat. Same for pheasant apart from the legs.
    Rabbit is back and legs, chest and front legs go to the dogs. But it depends on how scare the food is.

Samuel Hearne
    I have used both methods and most of the time I just take the breast meat.