Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zebra Billy Cans

Quote Originally Posted by sabot View Post
    There are two kinds of zebra billy can. The ones with the clips and the ones without
    The plastic clips come off very easily (you can put them back on too) as I found out when completely removing the handle and replacing with bike brake cable. They're just there to keep the handle upright on a stove (pretty useless over an open fire).

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    The plastic clips come off very easily (you can put them back on too) as I found out when completely removing the handle and replacing with bike brake cable. They're just there to keep the handle upright on a stove (pretty useless over an open fire).

Steve
    Good to know. I've not seen the clipped ones in person so can't say for sure how they work. But I agree, the clips do seem kinda pointless for on open fires.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    It must be a new model they're doing? Wonder how they'll stand up to the open fire?

My Zebra billy can came with the clips. I removed them before using the can though. I am quite sure they will not hold up to an open fire, though I do recall reading somewhere that the clips should actually be fire resistant. I may have to test this out some day.

I removed mine from both the 12cm and the 14cm. It has been said in bushcraft groups that they do not uphold to open flame.

I removed my clips too. It only holds the lid up if the handle is in the upright position, so if the pot should fall off its stand they will let go anyway.

I also ground the rivets off and removed the chunky handle, and replaced with a nice 2mm cable, much easier for packing.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    I have the Tatonka Multiset (a Trangia copy with pots, pan and burner in stainless steel), two Tatonka handle mugs, five Tatonka steel bottles (of various sizes). I am a big fan of Tatonkas stainless steel products - I can highly recommend them.

Imho. the Tatonka burner is a better burner than the Trangia - I'll have to do a formal test someday.
    I am a fan of tatonka kit as well, but it's quite expensive here in the UK. There billy cans are better in many ways than the Zebra ones (they have some billy cans which are not as tall as a zebra, bur have a locking bail arm). Due to the walls being higher there is less heat dissipation from the walls of the can so things keep warmer for longer.

The burner is not more efficient than the standard Trangia, it is more efficient than the one from the swedish army cook set though (actually I think a couple of birthday candles and a lot of prayer would possibly be more efficient).

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I'm thinking of getting some Zebra Billy cans but if you look at the images from this retailer http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/z...-lid-687-p.asp there appears to be plastic clips on them...Uncle Ray's pictures haven't...confused!
    Someone here mentioned that there are two models, they are correct, old and new. If you ask the retailer for one without clips they just take them off. From what I understand the manufacturer listened to feedback with reference to the cans. The major gripe about them was that the handle / arm would drop down and become hot. So they fitted them with plastic clips to hold the Handle / arm up.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    My Zebra billy can came with the clips. I removed them before using the can though. I am quite sure they will not hold up to an open fire, though I do recall reading somewhere that the clips should actually be fire resistant. I may have to test this out some day.
    From all the initial reports the clips don't hold up.

I have a number of pans including two standard Zebra cans ( 10cm and 14 cm), I also have a 12cm split level pot that is the same as the MSR stowaway pot made by Zebra. One of the best pans I have is a pan made by Gelert based on the old Peak / Coleman pans with a locking handle. The tatonka ones I mentioned are almost the same, however they have a hanging groove fitted on the bail arm and the pan lid is better than that of the gelert.

I would suggest playing with a number of different pans before saying yep, Zebra is the one for me.

Just been and checked on mine (just bought it ) - and it has got plastic clips on it !!!
    Never mind I can't see 'em lasting long on an open fire i'll just have to get myself a big elastic band to keep the top on in my pack !

Having now read pg2 of the thread lol, i think i'll take your ideas onboard and remove the clips and the handles and replace with wire...thanks.
    Last edited by klause; 23-01-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Being retarded and not reading all the threads !!
    There's no brew without fire.

Quote Originally Posted by klause View Post
    Never mind I can't see 'em lasting long on an open fire i'll just have to get myself a big elastic band to keep the top on in my pack !
    Why not just get a bungee net to attach to your pack? They are well worth the expense, usually found at motorcycle stores, but recently my local dollar store chain has been selling them for $2.