Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Alexdermietzel97 View Post
    The gerber gator looks like a nice folder, anyone know what blade steel these are? The opinel is a truly awesome knife too.
    from the gerber website - "When Gerber debuted their line of Gator folding knives in 1991, they were voted "Most Innovative Knife of the Year" at the Blade Show. The handle is made of glass-filled nylon and it’s covered with a rubberized alligator skin texture for a tacky, comfortable grip. The lock-back clip point blade has a serrated edge and is forged from 420HC stainless steel. Sheathed in a heavy-duty nylon case"

mine is a beast, holds an amazing edge and has been used daily for about a year now and has had some serious abuse... brilliant knife.. also special to me as my mrs got me it for our anniversary and it has our initials and anniversary date etched onto the blade... which is handy so i dont forget!

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    from the gerber website - "When Gerber debuted their line of Gator folding knives in 1991, they were voted "Most Innovative Knife of the Year" at the Blade Show. The handle is made of glass-filled nylon and it’s covered with a rubberized alligator skin texture for a tacky, comfortable grip. The lock-back clip point blade has a serrated edge and is forged from 420HC stainless steel. Sheathed in a heavy-duty nylon case"

mine is a beast, holds an amazing edge and has been used daily for about a year now and has had some serious abuse... brilliant knife.. also special to me as my mrs got me it for our anniversary and it has our initials and anniversary date etched onto the blade... which is handy so i dont forget!

Ace! I think I'll have to start making my christmas list!

Cheers mate

cant recommend it more highly mate... great EDC

Hobo
    My service Khukuri, bought from Khukuri House a few years ago. Once you get used to how it cuts it'll do pretty much anything that only an axe/knife/machete hybrid can.

Also have a homemade jobbie made from an old cast steel wood chisel and antler handle. I think it's been with me on most of my bushy trips and days out

One day I'll figure out how to do pictures.....
    There are two theories about winning an argument with a woman. Neither of them work.

Would like my epitaph to read "Saved the world" but it's more likely going to read "Mauled to death trying to draw a penis on the head of a sleeping lion"

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post

Had my Gator since the mid 90's strapped on my belt alongside the infamous Leatherman, still going strong today and is probably my most trusted blade (makes me sound like I have an arsenal at home!).
    My current dilemma on blades is probably worth a post all of its own (and probably not any different to other users!)

What's your dilemma mate!?

Not going with the masses and purchasing the atypical bushcraft knife or mora! Dont get me wrong, I like the pricing of the mora (who doesn't?) and the standard 'bushcraft knife' is replicated everywhere from Ray Mears' original woodlore knife (as far as I'm aware).
    Before anyone says it; Im not looking into any huge rambo-esque knife, armageddon hatchet or spartan short sword!!

Like many things, a knife is a personal thing, what works for you will not work for others. I do like the Clipper for its ease of use and ability to take whatever is thrown at it. At the same time i have a very nice hand made knife from Dave Budd but increasingly find that a smaller blade length suits my needs better. Evolution itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young;96816[U
    ]Like many things, a knife is a personal thing, what works for you will not work for others[/U]. I do like the Clipper for its ease of use and ability to take whatever is thrown at it. At the same time i have a very nice hand made knife from Dave Budd but increasingly find that a smaller blade length suits my needs better. Evolution itself.
    Very true. My mora companion cost me £10 and I love it! The handle is perfect for my hand (I have a bushcraft force too and the handle is very uncomfortable). It is a breeze to sharpen and I love the sheath too. I have paracord around the sheath (just in case) and I have put a length of paracord through the belt clip so it can be carried around the neck when needed. Some people don't like the sheath on the companion because the knife can become loose after a while, I prevented this by placing a tab or electrical tape inside the neck of the sheath subsequently tightening the grip on the knife. Now it is great, It's not hard to pull the knife out but it will never fall out. I don't know why I didn't add this knife to the pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eden-20131004-00581.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	10435

my opinel 12 and gerber gator clip point... as mentioned earlier!