Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber Sucks!

Trapper

Thumbs down Gerber Sucks!

Poor design in many cases and the steel is Chinese rubbish.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I sense Tommy is not a very happy bunny with Mr Gerber.. Having recovered from my laughing fit, I realise I don't own a single bit of Gerber gear. An ancient Leatherman and a really excellent Hilka copy of the LM and that's it multi tool wise for me..

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    I don't own a single bit of Gerber gear.
    I have two knives and a saw from Gerber. I also have seen the axe in action. Believe me you aren’t missing a thing.

I have a Gerber multi tool and so far it has not let me down when needed. However I don't think I would like to rely on it to much in an emergency. And also have a Gerber pocket knife I have used for three years at work and again so far not issues.

Sometimes I wonder about Chinese gear. I have a Chinese folding saw that cost about 6 Euros in Portugal a few years ago and it still cuts really well. I watched someone using a Chinese made ring spanner ( wrench?) on the fork nuts on a motorcycle and I think it was made of pasta!! The fork nut didn't shift, the ring end of the spanner simply rounded out and ended up a size larger!!

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    Sometimes I wonder about Chinese gear. I have a Chinese folding saw that cost about 6 Euros in Portugal a few years ago and it still cuts really well. I watched someone using a Chinese made ring spanner ( wrench?) on the fork nuts on a motorcycle and I think it was made of pasta!! The fork nut didn't shift, the ring end of the spanner simply rounded out and ended up a size larger!!
    I think that there are serious quality control issues in china.

It's the hidden cost of low prices

That probably sums it up Tommy, quality control. They can put spacecraft up successfully but somehow still manage to feed babies contaminated milk..

Well, most things are made there anyway. We can like it or not but it's kind of funny some times. Like a few years ago when I was on the outlook for a fishing reel. And was warned against purchasing from a certain well known brand because they had now moved production to china...then the dude warning recomended me another brand (his favourite), which had always been made in China or some other low cost country in the region :-)

But let truth be truth...the product he warned me about was indeed a piece of junk. But I do not think it was because it was produced in china, but because the brand owner had alsy radically changed the internal design...they still produce an excellent fishing reel...in Sweden with the old design. And I have used chinese copies of this...wich are also excellent...and the parts are even interchangeable :-)

So I think that when products quality decline when production moves to asia, it is not the quality of Asian production...it's the brand owner who choses to degrade their own product.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    So I think that when products quality decline when production moves to asia, it is not the quality of Asian production...it's the brand owner who choses to degrade their own product.
    I think Fishy is right.

got a couple of Gerber Gators, I have had them a few years now and they seem like they are ok, they are probably 12-14 years old, so may have been from another production era!.... I also have a Gerber saw, this also is a few years old. maybe 6 or 7, this also seems ok.

I have to say I don't use them to any extremes, I try and use the tool associated to the job, if you have a big log you need a big saw, and if what you may be intending to cut with your knife needs some real purchase or maybe a tap to get it through, then maybe a heavier duty piece of steel is required.
    I only say this because you didn't embellish us with the problem, just the rant, no offence meant.

what seems to be the problem?
    The Only Possible Guarantee Of The Future Is Responsible Behaviour In The Present