Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Girl on log - The Stand Up Paddleboard as a bushcraft tool.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    I've never used a paddleboard, but I am shocked at how much they can cost in the US, even compared to a canoe. I've seen some start at $800 and go upwards of $1500, whereas you can get yourself a decent Old Town for around $500. Never understood why they can be so expensive: it's just a simple raft made of fibreglass or composite materials.
    Aren’t paddle boards in vogue right now? Any fad will have the price jacked.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    I love my GP14 to pieces
    The GP14 is a great boat. I wish I had one.

It's the best boat I've ever owned really stable and easy to handle, takes the weather well (I've had her in a force 6 squall which came out of nowhere and 6' swell and she took it in her stride) points well to windward and bags of room inside for stowage. I used to have a 1956 mahogany one but had to sell her as she was too elderly for racing. I've got a fibreglass one now and really pleased with her. I think for an all-rounder boat, she's right up there with the Wayfarer. It's just a shame my local authority have made all the damned bridges so low!

Trapper
    It's the best boat I've ever owned really stable and easy to handle, takes the weather well (I've had her in a force 6 squall which came out of nowhere and 6' swell and she took it in her stride) points well to windward and bags of room inside for stowage. I used to have a 1956 mahogany one but had to sell her as she was too elderly for racing. I've got a fibreglass one now and really pleased with her. I think for an all-rounder boat, she's right up there with the Wayfarer. It's just a shame my local authority have made all the damned bridges so low!
    Too bad about the bridges. Going to an uninhabited island in the north sea would be awesome though. Steal your trailer! Really, WTF those &#@ thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Aren’t paddle boards in vogue right now? Any fad will have the price jacked.
    They are, indeed. All the outdoor rec stores are stuffed with them, and some people will gladly hand over $1500 for a Boardworks Raven. I can't be sure, but I imagine they're much cheaper in Europe.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Sadly, yeah. If you locked it up they'd pinch the b**dy locks too! Might have to chance it though, i've sailed on the north sea a few times, its fantastic! My friend took me on her yacht for my birthday a couple of years ago and we night sailed up to Tynemouth from hartlepool, great times! Might trailer the boat up the coast and sail over to the farne islands.

I sailed a few years ago on coniston to "wild cat island" from Swallows and Amazons, was great sailing into the secret harbour and exploring

Trapper
    @ beermaker

There is something about being on water. I get a really good feeling, different from being in the forest, but just as good.

Definitely, I love being on the water, whether its racing, cruising, powerboating or paddling. Sail is definitely my favourite though, can't get enough of it!

I've always fancied having a sailing canoe ever since I saw a few chaps camping with them at Coniston. I love my GP14 to pieces but sadly not rejoined Kielder club this year as couldn't justify the expense and can't sail it on the Tees as the bridges are too low for my mast! I've toyed with the idea of launching on the North Sea but I don't fancy the odds of my trailer being there when I get back!
    The GP 14 is a fab little sail boat and very safe, I'me looking at buying a heavenly twins in the next few weeks (cost an arm & a leg ) but you cant take it with you ! , Thas no pockets in shrouds as my old man used to say
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    @ beermaker

There is something about being on water. I get a really good feeling, different from being in the forest, but just as good.
    Aint it great when you can combine your 2 fave passions on the same trip,
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.