Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Girl on log - The Stand Up Paddleboard as a bushcraft tool.

Girl on log - The Stand Up Paddleboard as a bushcraft tool.

Last year I got into Stand Up Paddleboarding. What a great great method for bushcraft. Light. Completely uninvasive. Carries more than enough gear for bushcrafting.

Really fits with the bushcraft feeling of direct contact with nature.

Do any of you use a SUP for your expeditions?

This is a little video of the mood of an SUP on an alpine lake. (With Native American Flute - man I love that flute)

(I did an overnighter on the island)

Last edited by susannewilliams; 05-08-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

that looks good
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

Trapper
    Paddleboards belong at resorts not in the back country.

There is so such wrong with this idea, I don't know where to begin.

Nice one Susanne, a pic of your boards set up would be interesting.
    Wavecloud (Dave) who runs http://ukpaddlesports.freeforums.org/ does lots of trips and over-nighters on his SUP even sea crossings in the Scottish Islands. Might be of interest to you.
    I use an Ally pack canoe (in my avatar) or my Perception sea kayak for trips and mix a bit of bushcraft into them when I can. They are both great for getting close to wildlife who would normally shy clear of man but the boats seem to reduce the threat risk for them.

Rob.

paddleboard looks great much more compact than my sailing boat, would be ideal for covert camping! Quite fancied a sailing canoe too

Trapper
    Anyone using a paddleboard on my last trip would have drowned.

I prefer to bushcraft in the wilderness not on the French Riviera.

Must admit I'm more at home in a canoe
    [

I've never used a paddleboard, but I am shocked at how much they can cost in the US, even compared to a canoe. I've seen some start at $800 and go upwards of $1500, whereas you can get yourself a decent Old Town for around $500. Never understood why they can be so expensive: it's just a simple raft made of fibreglass or composite materials.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I've always fancied having a sailing canoe ever since I saw a few chaps camping with them at Coniston. I love my GP14 to pieces but sadly not rejoined Kielder club this year as couldn't justify the expense and can't sail it on the Tees as the bridges are too low for my mast! I've toyed with the idea of launching on the North Sea but I don't fancy the odds of my trailer being there when I get back!

Again would like to see the set up. Me I think I will stick with my canoe, like sitting down to much, and it carries loads of gear, Mmmmm comfort.
    But don't get me wrong it looks really spectacular. Must try and get my video sorted out and then try and post some bad footage, but I'm not to good at the techie bit