Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TEOTWAWKI this september?

uh yeah EMP, does this mean planes are going to be falling out the sky? and all hell is going to break loose?

you think we would be able to see it coming? abit like the northern lights or similar, now that would be something if it is visible.

a world without tech would be an interesting place.

do EMP bombs etc knock out electrical items for good or temporarily as they were saying in the article that it could be days,weeks months from this info i would guess temporarily

sounds silly but quiet looking forwards to this event

cheers

Madz

There would be no warning for an EMP as it will travel at the speed of light, it takes 8 minutes for the light from the sun to reach earth... as such the first we knew would be when the initial pulse hit us.

If your looking forward to something that would cause the planet to go back to the iron age, would cause millions to die. ( no power, no water supply, no food supply, no hospitals, no flushing toilets etc) then you need psychiatric help

They would be knocked out permanently, circuits fried from the overload. It would take a century to get everything up and running again.... if it could even be done.

Quote Originally Posted by MadZ View Post
    uh yeah EMP, does this mean planes are going to be falling out the sky? and all hell is going to break loose?

you think we would be able to see it coming? abit like the northern lights or similar, now that would be something if it is visible.

a world without tech would be an interesting place.

do EMP bombs etc knock out electrical items for good or temporarily as they were saying in the article that it could be days,weeks months from this info i would guess temporarily

sounds silly but quiet looking forwards to this event

cheers

Madz

Correct me if I am wrong, which I may well be, but my understanding of EMP's it that they would fry anything electrical that was unshielded and turned on when the pulse hits?

If this is the case, then the satellite network would bite the dust .as would most of the land based communications network, meaning no TV, radio or ... INTERNET!!! But if you put circuit boards and useful powered down electrical equipment in a suitably shielded location, you could use them to restart / rebuild once the threat has passed.
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, which I may well be, but my understanding of EMP's it that they would fry anything electrical that was unshielded and turned on when the pulse hits?

If this is the case, then the satellite network would bite the dust .as would most of the land based communications network, meaning no TV, radio or ... INTERNET!!! But if you put circuit boards and useful powered down electrical equipment in a suitably shielded location, you could use them to restart / rebuild once the threat has passed.
    You are correct, Some electronic components Ic's and FET's are very susceptible to EMP and will be damaged even if turned off. However some other components like ac motors etc are unlikely to suffer any damage. Because solar EMP has a long wave length if you throw your radio and torch into a steel filing cabinet onto a pad to avoid direct contact with the steelwork it will be protected.
    analogue equipment with less sophisticated electronics, switched off when a pulse strikes is also less likely to suffer damage.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    analogue equipment with less sophisticated electronics, switched off when a pulse strikes is also less likely to suffer damage.
    Hence the none computer managed diesel engine in my van
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Hence the none computer managed diesel engine in my van
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

did you guys see the tv series jericho when the emp hit?
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    the ones that will really suffer will be those think that chicken comes on poly trays wrapped in cling film and that Eastenders and TOWIE are real

You are kidding, right? You mean we might REALLY have to do this bushcraft stuff?
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Quote Originally Posted by Realbark View Post
    You are kidding, right? You mean we might REALLY have to do this bushcraft stuff?
    [

Gosh - the US would not know what to do without electricity. In little more than a week, there would be utter chaos...shows how spoiled many of us have become.
    I will say this, though - when I lost power back in 2011 from getting dumped with 30cm of snow on the 29th of October (electricity was out for a week - some folks in my state didn't have it for nearly a month), I found the experience very liberating. It really hit home how luxurious we are compared to those in "third-world" countries. But we have become more and more greedy with electrical consumption over the years, never giving it a second thought and taking it for granted, when we should be very gracious. Greed may yet be our downfall.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin