Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: # of battery operated devices?

Torch (must get a head torch)
    Wee torch on car keyring too.
    Phone (use its camera if I ever feel the need to take a pic... not too many though or the battery doesnt last too long)

phone, large maglite (not used often due to its large expensive batteries.. more of a club than anything else) small AA battery torch

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    large maglite (not used often due to its large expensive batteries.. more of a club than anything else)
    Useful against zombies, then
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    phone, large maglite (not used often due to its large expensive batteries.. more of a club than anything else) small AA battery torch
    Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Useful against zombies, then
    I once trained with a guy (working as a security guard) who subdued an intruder with his issued D-cell maglite, surprising himself that he did not use it as a club but to effect an armlock we had practiced a few weeks earlier

Back on topic, I always have the mobile with me and more often than not one of my mini-maglites, they saw me through some dark nights on Crete and some other Greek Islands (suburban lighting is poor and on the mountains we were at the mercy of the lunar cycle for borrowed lighting, though even that has it's good points) My latest planning for a sea kayaking trip suggests 6 or 7 battery operated items, the 7th being if I take my DSLR for better pic's. For my earlier hiking it was the torch and when I could afford one,the mobile phone along with a manual camera(Zenith) or battery powered Minolta slr.
    It all depends really on what one wants to do and/or can afford to take (cost/weight) wise.

Rob

Have to add a 12000mAh power bank to charge the cam and phone while in the woods. Just arrived from that auction side today :-)

It can also power the camera while I do all night time lapse photos of the aurora borealis filled skies during the winter nights in the hammock :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Have to add a 12000mAh power bank to charge the cam and phone while in the woods. Just arrived from that auction side today :-)

It can also power the camera while I do all night time lapse photos of the aurora borealis filled skies during the winter nights in the hammock :-)
    plenty of power available there.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Mobile phone and spare battery, LED torch and that's just about it.

My phone is a Galaxy S4 (in a Griffin Survivor case) which doubles as a semi-decent point and shoot camera, so I rarely take the Nikon DSLR these days unless I want to sell my photos. The phone also doubles as a GPS and is loaded with topographic mapping for SE Australia down to 1:25K scale and since I'm trying to learn the night sky, I use the Google Skymap app occasionally in the bush.

If I'm doing something epicly adventurous then I'll take the GoPro Hero 3 vid camera and a few accessories, but it's not often I get the time lately to make carrying it worthwhile.

A note on navigation vis GPS vs map and compass. I navigate with paper maps and a prismatic compass and protractor. GPS is nice to have, but it rarely gets used unless I have cell service and will often use google maps aerial imagery to check the next day's route - again - when the OCD kicks in.

At a minimum
    Small radio
    Phone and two spare batteries
    Head torch

Now I'm restricted to base camping I take

A hand torch

'UFO' LED torche (remarkably bright for in the parayurt)
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9275070.htm

50,000 mAh power bank

Android tablet

Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    My android phone also gives me a camera and gps which I use for recording tracks.
    Wind up flash light (cheap from Lidl).
    Wind up camping/fishing lamp for base camp. And I recently spotted one that can charge your phone lol

And I recently spotted one that can charge your phone lol
    Got one of those 2 or 3 years ago , still havnt used it to charge a phone. I got the straight flashlight charger about 3 months before that and guess what ? yup aint used that either. ive got a shedfull of tack thats never seen the light of day all bought on a that will be handy whim, sometimes 2 of things cos I forgot I'd bought the first 1. doh
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.