Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mackerel at fareham/gosport???

Wanderer

mackerel at fareham/gosport???

does anyone know if you can feather from gosport or if there are any short tourist boats trips near by, as I have to go there on sunday to collect a table and would like to stock up the freezer

other things on the forage menu would be
    sampfire
    sweet oarweed
    fennel

Twosmokes

I don't have any experience of fishing this area but if you check out this site, you might get a few answers

http://www.total-fishing.com/fisheries/gosport-hants

Cheers Neil

Wanderer
    the site was good, had a couple off the pier on the feathers. wasn't there long

the water was deep, so if I ever went back I would try freelining a barrel lead on light gear with a strip of mackerel as bait.

ate them last night with samphire that I picked locallly and new potatoes, nothing too fancey just lovely fresh seafood

Nice one mate, well done.

There is nothing out there that competes with fresh Mackerel.

Another mackerel lover! One of the tastiest fish out there!

love mackerel!! it's one of my favourite fishes! As soon as I have a working car again I'll be off to Saltburn Pier to get some myself!
    Last edited by jus_young; 07-08-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: If you need to put stars in words please think on whether the word should be there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by twosmokeforever View Post
    the site was good, had a couple off the pier on the feathers. wasn't there long

the water was deep, so if I ever went back I would try freelining a barrel lead on light gear with a strip of mackerel as bait.

ate them last night with samphire that I picked locallly and new potatoes, nothing too fancey just lovely fresh seafood
    Glad you enjoyed the fishing at my old home town (born & bred "turk towner") when I was a lad there was no pier there, but we used to take are lives in our hands and trudge across the Mud flats on the side of the creek, looking for raggies and lug worms, if I remember there used to be about a 16Ft tide drop in the harbour uncovering plenty of mud to search for bait.
    Favourite spot was the old Pneumonia footbrige crossing Alver creek to the hospital, lots of flatties to be had from there in those days!
    Oh! and unless someone tells you otherwise it's Gosport with a capital (G) I should know I've got the town crest tatooed on my right arm, same one that's on all the park benches and the railings around the pier you fished from!
    But you'r forgiven because I see you are from (b)ristol!

Alone in the Wilderness
    Ha, no way, I am from Gosport originally living in Bristol now. Best way for mackerel is trolling of the back of a two man kayak whilst your friend does the paddling. Always try and get a trip from Elmore to the Osborne View (a great pub just on the beach at Hill Head) with the mackerel feathers and a disposable BBQ. Hoping to get an overnighter from there up to Lepe or further this summer. Hope the weather's as good as last year.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    I really love fresh mackerel

Portsmouth Harbour has long had mackerel,as a Dockyard apprentice (back in the day) we would hasten to any large naval vessel tied up alongside, they always had some auxilary engine or other running, which meant water being circulated then discharged through a port in the side of the vessel (ship).
    This was a huge draw card for the mackerel as the effect of the water landing on the surface of the sea water in the harbour would drive them to belive there were schools of small fish about.
    We used to use a small piece of silver foil from a cigarrette packet on a hook and dangle this in the area of the discharge, many an apprentice went home with fresh mackerel for his mum to cook for tea!