Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what wood?

what wood?

Hello everyone, I am new to bushcraft so please don't take the mick to much but for one of my first projects I want to learn is how to make fire without a steel so I thought THE BOWDRILL!
    Now I don't know if my technique is wrong (probably is) but I can work on that, I need to know if I am using the right wood or doesn't it matter, I don't know!
    Please help!

sorry dude i cant help you much with the materials as have not got this far myself yet, but what i can tell you is persistence is the key, seen people try to make fire with a bow drill for hours with no joy, but the look on there face when they achieve fire is priceless.

as for materials i can imagine hard woods would be the best but i'm sure others here that have experience using them first hand can offer better information than me. you never know some one might have one for sale, or offer info on how to make a good one.

cheers

Madz

Hi mr_moon, no one will take the mick buddy, at least until you get to know them anyway
    With fire bow, almost any wood can be used, but some work better. Goat willow is a good one, and cedar works pretty well too.
    Whatever you use, make sure it's as dry as possible, so dead (but not rotten). It's ok to use green (non dead) wood for the bearing block and bow, just not the hearth board and spindle.

Hope that helps a little

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Banned
    Firstly you need to use seasoned wood ( dead standing ) for the hearth and spindle and its important that the bearing is of a harder wood and green wood for this is best for the spine otherwise you will end up burning your hand.
    to start with use the same timber for the hearth and spine this will make things easier chestnut is a good starter wood and when you've mastered that try mixing it up to get your favourite mix

Here's some good ones

Willow on Lime
    Willow on Willow
    Hazel on lime
    Willow on sycamore

Other suggested combinations: (some are harder than others any mix with pine is harder )

hazel on poplar
    Ash on Willow
    Elder on Pine
    Hazel on Cedar
    Hazel on Ivy
    Hazel on Pine
    Hazel on Sycamore
    Poplar on Cedar
    Sycamore on Sycamore
    Bird Cherry on Alder
    Wild Rose on Alder

But my favourite is elder on clematis

Another trick is to put green leaves in the bearing block for lube or if you want to add a real treat buy one of fish's bearing blocks from this parish you won't be disappointed

Hope this is of help

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Willow on willow

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Willow on willow
    the most reliable combination IMHO...its about perseverance. If its not working take a breather go have a cuppa. Change the v notch slightly, take off any polished wood on the drill, alter your bowing technique, try a longer/shorter drill, get comfy...

but most of all dont give up
    [

I tried for the first time with pine on pine. Managed to make lots of smoke but no ember and have since been advised that pine is 'doable' but needs good technique.

managed it with pine....once and only once...
    [

Banned
    I've never managed pine on pine lots of smoke no ember I'm told its to do with the sap content and the material produced by the friction not holding the heat because of it

Thumbs up if you have managed it

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I agree completely with Sapper, perseverance and patience is the key. The right wood helps and can make up for poor technique, but by learning from your failures on different woods you will better perfect you technique. I've tried hard woods, green woods and rotten woods all in the goal of understanding the connection between pressure and speed
    For additional help take a look in the beginners bushcraft section and at the sticky there. You will find a couple of good resources on fire craft in general.
    I've managed pine once too. Needed low resin content and a well weathered bit of wood. absolutely knackering to do though.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.