Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Strange One - How to stop a dog attack?

Wanderer
    It is usually the act of you running or riding past/ near the dog/s that can cause this type of dog behaviour... dont run, (continuing to run will excite the dog and make it braver ).. stop face the dog/s make yourself as large as possible.. loud noises and shots of water will put off a lot of dogs (air powered horn or a squeezy water bottle !?)....
    Chav dogs, like their Chav owners are normally untrained and make a lot of noise (eg empty barrels makes the most noise).
    If the dog does go to bite you,it will normally be for your leg/s unless you offer it your arm... Sharp kicks to the exposed underside of the dog will be effective, esp the ribs. also thumb strike/s to the eyes are very effective.... the crack on the nose technique will only annoy the dog further. There are other techniques but further training would be necessary and would take up your running time.
    As for the mag-light, hard to prove you carried it to defend yourself... remember you also have the right to use the minimum force required.... a tricky one that.
    Avoidance is the best action, cross the road if possible. the actions noted above are used only if necessary... Dont forget to call the Law if attacted or threatened, removal of the dogs from this type of owner can only be good for the dog/s!!
    I have been trained and I am a dog lover... who owns a Staffordshire bull terrier, my second.. neither dog has bitten anybody!
    Hope that helps?!

Tribal Elder
    Thanks Kernow thats all good...Training would be good. Afterall i do love survival

Its hard cause i dont run on pavement, its straight uphill i need...only place i found is the park...

I think a sheleigh might be a bit suspect....

This is easier said than done:

1 stop running, stand facing to one side away from the dogs direction, drop direct eye contact with the dog.

2 stand still with your legs together, fold your arms, stand upright.

3 pre-arm yourself with a water pistol, scoot the dog a couple of times-but without taking aim like a shooter, scoot the dog a couple of more times.

4 dont shout or make a fuss-stay silent if you can.

Excellent points made by Kernow in the previous post, some people have an instinct with animals and Kernow is obviously one of those.

The act of running triggers excitement (the hunting type) in all dogs-most behave well to this excitement, some 'loose cannons' will give chase and will bark (nervous type) some will be silent (the bold type and the ones to be duly worried about).

chasing down a prey is a deep seated instinct in a dog, as soon as a prey stops the dogs level of excitement drops dramaticaly, watch other predatory animals when a prey 'stops' they look confused, this can be seen clearly in wildlife documentaries, a jaguar takes down a gazelle then looks around bemused, a dog has similair type instincts.

Most of the soft tissue damage inflicted by a dog is the result of its prey struggling, a dog will 'squeeze' with its jaws-watch your pet with its toys 'squeezing'

if your arms are folded you don't present the dog with 'squeezy bits' and Your 'threat' to the dog is dramaticaly reduced.

Any dog squirted with water will be immediately 'flummoxed'-the human equivelent would be getting shot with an 'invisible ray gun'

Dogs like all other hearing animals are very re-active to sound-how many of you have neighbours who have 'shouting matches' with their offspring and pets.

like I said at the start-easier said than done-if a dog is going to bite you then its better to suffer the 'squeeze' than have a wrestling match with a mouth full of teeth

HTH
    Jim
    Last edited by Kiltie; 21-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Wanderer
    Easier said than done..... and a very submissive / PC set of tactics !
    You pay your money and you take your choice.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Carry a few Bonio's with you..

A torch is not intended to be used as a weapon officer, its for lighting my way..

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Carry a few Bonio's with you..

A torch is not intended to be used as a weapon officer, its for lighting my way..
    Exactly... Sorry a fellow Kernowyon... Zactly!

Chocolate in large doses can kill a dog (really, in a small dose will make the dog sick, depending on size), so carry a few big chocolate bars with you (Toblerone, you can beat them with it then drop it). Might distract them while off you f***, and if you are lucky, you won't see them again, only their offspring in a few months. Lol

Ive heard if you rip the front legs apart they don't like that I think it kills them or something
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Trapper
    Aparently if you force your hand down its throat just before it severes you at the wrist it will choke to death. On a more serious note, i was once told if you pull a dogs front legs far enough apart it breaks the rib cage and punctures the heart. Dont know if its true.

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    Ive heard if you rip the front legs apart they don't like that I think it kills them or something
    Get them on their back while holding their front legs apart and thrust down and out, yes, that collapses their ribcage and kills them. But I like the king size Toblerone bar idea better. Besides, it has points.