Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plant and fungi I.D ?

plant and fungi I.D ?

I went for another walk today with my wild flower books and I think I did o.k. with some of the plants but I can't find this one in the book. It is a low growing ground cover type plant with leaves like a privet and small purple/black berries. Growing on the edge of a high level fir forest in partial sunlight. can anyone help ?. (Not the holly in the first picture, i managed to identify that )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0079.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	9605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0080.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	9606
    Also a fungi growing on the side of a douglas fir tree.

Name:	CIMG0065.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	9607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0066.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	9608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0067.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	9609

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Look like what i know as cloudberries alhough the pic isnt great and the fungi lookd like a birch polypore........only its not on a birch so mmmm..... artists conk i reckon
    [

thank you, I can add the labels to my photo's now.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    thank you, I can add the labels to my photo's now.
    they arent cloudberries though....what i actually meant was BILBERRIES / BLAEBERRIES / WIMBERRIES doh ! We have loads round here to the point we have a place called Wimberry Rocks
    Last edited by Silverback; 24-07-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    [

Banned
    Hmmmm bilberrie leather I trade amadou for bilberrie leather with a friend of mine from up in whippet country great find

The birch Polypore is worth remembering, you can use it like a strop to sharpen your knife and make a plaster for a cut finger.
    They are edible but not worth trying for their flavour.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    The birch Polypore is worth remembering, you can use it like a strop to sharpen your knife and make a plaster for a cut finger.
    They are edible but not worth trying for their flavour.

Birch polypore is as you say edible but tastes like cack but making it into tea is a much better way to utilise it as you say they make great strops but it takes a lot of work ,well worth it if your interested in natural material crafts I've seen them mounted with glue made from bluebell bulbs crushed and reduced over heat to make a sticky glue ,

Just to add that definitely is not a polypore

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	9616
    This one is
    Last edited by Mouse040; 24-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse040 View Post

Just to add that definitely is not a polypore

Actually it very well may be a birch polypore. Look at BJ's pic no 3...if Im not mistaken that isnt a douglas fir..its a birch tree
    [

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Actually it very well may be a birch polypore. Look at BJ's pic no 3...if Im not mistaken that isnt a douglas fir..its a birch tree
    I agree a birch but the coloration on the fungus is wrong for polypore the shaping of the outer curl isn't what I'd expect to see but it's a photo and I'm only sharing my opinion fungus really isn't my strength so I'm happy to bow to you more knowledgable folk

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse040 View Post
    I agree a birch but the coloration on the fungus is wrong for polypore the shaping of the outer curl isn't what I'd expect to see but it's a photo and I'm only sharing my opinion fungus really isn't my strength so I'm happy to bow to you more knowledgable folk

I reckon its dead and thats why the colouration is wrong as it has lichen or similar growing on it, and thats the interesting and frustrating thing about fungi, they can often throw you a curve ball. Exchanging views and opinions is how we gain knowledge..we are having a virtual chat about features on a fungi that may help identify it
    Last edited by Silverback; 24-07-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    [