Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Sealing Food

Vacuum Packing Tips

Hi,

A couple of tips for vacuum packing.

Vacuum sealers usually have two functions - vacuum air removal and heat sealing.

[see pic bottom] When the lid is up, at the front you can see the heat iron strip. This carries out the heat sealing by pressing both sides of the plastic film together and melting them. Behind that, you can see the foam vacuum loop. When you place an open side to a bag in this loop and close the lid, air is sucked out of the bag before the heat iron is activated to seal the vacuum.

You can make bags to your required size by cutting to size and sealing (all but one of) the open sides using the heat iron alone.

The plastic itself has, obviously, two sheets. One sheet is smooth, but the other sheet has tiny channels that run in a diagonal grid pattern. It is through these channels that air is sucked out of the bag before the heat iron then melts these channels and welds the two sheets together, forming a welded seal.

When preparing liquids, sauces with a high liquid content or fresh meat, it's better to freeze first, as this stops liquid getting into the channels, which could stop a proper seal being formed.

Another thing I've learned is that if you wish to pack fine powders (like milk powder into portions), it's better to wrap the powder in cling film first so the powder doesn't get into the channels.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    What make of machine are you using I have been looking at the net and want to get a decent priced one? The ones on your link are a bit pricey but if they are quality I would look at getting one.
    http://www.fresherpack.co.uk/product...erpack_yjs100/

So far, so good, but the tape that covers the heat iron keeps slipping and I have to keep an eye on it. Saying that, it's not a big deal and I've had this one for a couple of years now.

Wanderer
    Hi Steve, I dont wish to interupt the flow of your threads.... just wondered if you have bought any New Kit yet today ?

Quote Originally Posted by KERNOW KELT View Post
    Hi Steve, I dont wish to interupt the flow of your threads.... just wondered if you have bought any New Kit yet today ?
    No, but I'm off down the range shortly to sight-in my XVI and scope.

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    No, but I'm off down the range shortly to sight-in my XVI and scope.
    Enjoy !!!

One thing I have learnt you cant Vacum pack bread I tried and it packs great but it just doesn't unpack
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

One thing I have learnt you cant Vacum pack bread I tried and it packs great but it just doesn't unpack
    The air's trapped in the bread too, so even you vacuum pack rolls, it'll only make last a little bit longer and not worth the energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    The air's trapped in the bread too, so even you vacuum pack rolls, it'll only make last a little bit longer and not worth the energy.
    I think I managed to get three slices of bread to collapse into one it was a good conversation piece around the old campfire especially when I showed Mark my vacuum packed toilet roll

especially when I showed Mark my vacuum packed toilet roll
    i darent ask how you rehydrate that!
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Quote Originally Posted by Realbark View Post
    i darent ask how you rehydrate that!
    After reading the thread I went and bought a machine. Well when I got home everything got vacu packed Even my socks