Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you get these kind of tourists over on your side of the drink?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-...lands-28853850

and whilst we're discussing unpreparedness.......useful info. Not only may it save unnecessary call outs to our SAR services, but it could save a life !
    [

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    Anyone has the right to be ticked off about anything they so choose
    Paul - are you ticked off that you're getting a tourist from the midlands visiting your local tomorrow night?
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Paul - are you ticked off that you're getting a tourist from the midlands visiting your local tomorrow night?
    I'll pop over and see you bud!
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

I'll pop over and see you bud!
    I should be there 20:00 - 20:30 and Terry said he'd be there but I'm not sure about Mike yet.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    The only people who have a right to be ticked off is the SAR teams doing the job..... particularly here in the UK as it costs the taxpayer nothing for the service
    Anyone has the right to be ticked off about anything they so choose
    aye and write a strongly worded letter to the 'Times'.......demanding insurance is taken out to cover the tax pounds lost.....yawn
    Hang on folks. let's clarify my "ticked-off-idness" Personally I don't give a fig about the financial costs what I care about is the people who risk their lives to save these idiots. I keep thinking about (I beleive) it was a Welsh mountain rescue team that lost three members on a twit recovery mission. This was something like 40 years ago so the old brain box might be letting me down on a few facts.

I dare suggest it Wayne, I remember many years ago when I was on the road, 1 horse and rider exercising 3 other horses on the verge of the A1 nr Weatherby. 1 horse got spooked and all of them ran on the A1 causing chaos on both sides of the road and a multipileup where 1 man died and several injuries, and as for cyclists I had 1 squeeze by me at lights and scratched my door with his bars. So sod the uproar lets have them Insured. ps I do cycle when I can, ATB fella Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Cycle helmets save lives, fact. As do back protectors and riding hats.......I dont ride anymore...but i do cycle.
    [

Cycle helmets save lives, fact. As do back protectors and riding hats.......I dont ride anymore...but i do cycle.
    Mandatory by law for children. But most grown ups use them as well. Mostly because these days people frown uppon those that don't. Bad example for the kids etc.

Anyway, here is a survival situation that ended well with a rescue...but thses ladies did most things right after things went pear shaped for them. Although personally I would have preffered to be better equipped if I was going into that wilderness area, than they where...(shelter).

The link is to a google translate of the Norwegian article. So some sentences are total gibberish. But it should be possible to get the essentials :-)

https://translate.google.com/transla...ece&edit-text=
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Fairly well equipped by the looks of it Rune and all ended well......

Sometimes i wonder if those who are very well equipped fall into the hands of the SAR services because they have become over confident in their gear and abilities. I've certainly been at more incidents in which the casualty was well equipped than those that were not....the exception being the ones that intentionally went onto the hills with the express purpose of not coming back, but thats another issue.
    [

Fairly well equipped by the looks of it Rune and all ended well......

Sometimes i wonder if those who are very well equipped fall into the hands of the SAR services because they have become over confident in their gear and abilities. I've certainly been at more incidents in which the casualty was well equipped than those that were not....the exception being the ones that intentionally went onto the hills with the express purpose of not coming back, but thats another issue.

There is one group of people that irritates me more in Norway than the ill equipped. And that is the well equipped that think that their equipment and "experience" make them immune against everything that mother nature can throw at them. Each year 10-15 of them dies in avalanches that they started themselves, because they think that it will be perfectly okay to go down hill skiing in the mountains while every media and avalanche expert in the country is screaming for people NOT to go into the hills.

Then people like you Sapper, have to go into the avalanche areas and try to rescue them. That is...last year several died because SAR deemed it to dangerous to go in. A couple of these where left for a week before SAR could go in and get the bodies out...

Anyway, thse girls above where fairly well equipped yes. But their only shelter was a couple of sleeping bags and one bivvy bag (Jerven bag) between them. I would have brought at least a tarp on top of that. But as I said. They conducted themselves quite well, once they discovered they where in trouble.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum