Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iFootpath

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbeau View Post
    Hmmm, because this is one of the dangerous apps, that brings unexpirienced people out into unfamiliar teritory with a reliance on a cellphone alone?

further discussion here =>
    http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...n-Bushcrafting
    I don't understand why an App is dangerous? You are making a number of assumptions I would suggest that are not correct....

1 - just because someone has a 'guide' on their phone does not mean that they would not take a map
    2 - why would they not be an experienced walker anyway?
    3 - why would you think that the App does not suggest safety and info about the route?
    4 - what is the difference between having a guide on a phone rather than a guide book?
    5 - you can also take paper copies of the route - free to print?
    6 - Is t any different from taking a GPS map on a Garmin - are these dangerous too?
    7 - how do you know what routes are on the app - many are in cities and towns and are not in open country
    8 - Are you suggesting that no guidance is given on route difficulty?

I would love feedback on the app but only after you have had a look at it or even the website. We are of course well aware that the phone battery can run out - I think very few people don't know that.

The App has been created to inspire people of all abilities to walk and explore - with some confidence of what the walk will be like. The app also gives lots of information about local amenities, where to park, local history, etc. It's certainly not perfect - and it is not and never will be, a replacement for a map.

But to say it is dangerous is perhaps a little strong - it is certainly not more dangerous than going out into a remote area with out a map or a phone....

Happy to answer any questions of course - and thanks for letting me post a reply

[QUOTE=WalkTheTalk;91757]I don't understand why an App is dangerous? You are making a number of assumptions I would suggest that are not correct....

1 - just because someone has a 'guide' on their phone does not mean that they would not take a map
    3 - why would you think that the App does not suggest safety and info about the route?
    4 - what is the difference between having a guide on a phone rather than a guide book?
    6 - Is t any different from taking a GPS map on a Garmin - are these dangerous too?
    7 - how do you know what routes are on the app - many are in cities and towns and are not in open country

I would love feedback on the app but only after you have had a look at it or even the website. We are of course well aware that the phone battery can run out - I think very few people don't know that.

The App has been created to inspire people of all abilities to walk and explore - with some confidence of what the walk will be like. The app also gives lots of information about local amenities, where to park, local history, etc. It's certainly not perfect - and it is not and never will be, a replacement for a map.

But to say it is dangerous is perhaps a little strong - it is certainly not more dangerous than going out into a remote area with out a map or a phone....

Happy to answer any questions of course - and thanks for letting me post a reply[/QUOTE

the app its self is not dangerous, it be the people who use it that make it dangerous, if people use it to its full intention and with other bits of kit that are required on there desired route then all will be fine, but i can say they wont. just a few reasons and answers to your list here. no offence

1 oh i wont take a map i have google maps on my phone.
    2 because any idiot can download an app not many idiots go buy a map
    3 may be very basic to keep the space required for the app to a minimum, so only contains basic information
    4 the difference is there has been a person walk a track to make a guide about it, where as an apps creator may have just pulled rubbish from an internet website thats wrong
    5 go buy a map, no need for paper copies when you have a map or the waste of trees, or was that map left out of the pack because you have google maps on the said phone
    6 people who can afford a gps, normally in some way or another know how to use it properly, and it would not be permanently turned on like a phone, and would have another means of location finding.
    7 personally, i dont know what routes are on the app but where you say many are in towns and cities then it kind of defeats the object of getting out in my eyes
    8 every one grades things differently so what you consider an easy route a person might consider it a no go area, so your route grades are negated

dont mean to sound negative, but to come to a place where every one is into the great out doors and say things like you have is asking for a heated debate.

cheers

Madz
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Alone in the Wilderness
    [QUOTE=MadZ;91789]
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkTheTalk View Post
    I don't understand why an App is dangerous? You are making a number of assumptions I would suggest that are not correct....

Happy to answer any questions of course - and thanks for letting me post a reply[/QUOTE

the app its self is not dangerous, it be the people who use it that make it dangerous, if people use it to its full intention and with other bits of kit that are required on there desired route then all will be fine, but i can say they wont. just a few reasons and answers to your list here. no offence

1 oh i wont take a map i have google maps on my phone.
    2 because any idiot can download an app not many idiots go buy a map
    3 may be very basic to keep the space required for the app to a minimum, so only contains basic information
    4 the difference is there has been a person walk a track to make a guide about it, where as an apps creator may have just pulled rubbish from an internet website thats wrong
    5 go buy a map, no need for paper copies when you have a map or the waste of trees, or was that map left out of the pack because you have google maps on the said phone
    6 people who can afford a gps, normally in some way or another know how to use it properly, and it would not be permanently turned on like a phone, and would have another means of location finding.
    7 personally, i dont know what routes are on the app but where you say many are in towns and cities then it kind of defeats the object of getting out in my eyes
    8 every one grades things differently so what you consider an easy route a person might consider it a no go area, so your route grades are negated

dont mean to sound negative, but to come to a place where every one is into the great out doors and say things like you have is asking for a heated debate.

cheers

Madz
    wow Madz! - thanks for the replies.... but as you would expect I don't agree.....

Could I suggest you at visit the website? - whilst opinions and feedback are always good you again make a number of assumptions that are strange to say the least.

1 - why do you assume it is a google map? It is in fact Apple Maps on the App which show a satellite view - very helpful for many people. Many Apps use OS maps which are always up to date - unlike the paper map you may have in your pocket. (OS maps in Apps do cost a lot....)
    2 - many people cannot read maps or use a compass.... most people can read instructions, and follow a blue dot against a red track to help guide them in the right direction and use this information to compare to a paper map. But I would not suggest they go on the more difficult routes without a map, compass and some knowledge....
    3 - it is not basic - again look at the website it has more (always up to date) info than a guide book. It can be added to and changed.
    4 - All the iFootpath guides have been walked - again your assumption is wrong. The walks are not published unless the route GPS has been created through walking the route.
    5 - don't understand - the app is not a map replacement... it is a guide book replacement with a GPS track to help you find your way
    6 - - so if you buy a GPS gadget you are clever? If you download an app you are an idiot... why? It uses the same technology. You can download the GPS and load it on to a Garmin - free too! - if you want to. So you can use the information on the website without the App - free.
    7 - routes are all over the country to cater for all needs and abilities - again look at the website - some routes start in towns and villages and then go into the countryside... Your original assumption is that you have to have a map - I am pointing out that you don't always need a map.
    8 - what? The grades are not the only help.... we include other help about access, parking, gates, stiles, farms, etc. so you would rather not have any info? We have sought help from people with disabilities so that we can include the things that they may want to know - for example recent feedback asked for width info on canal towpaths and routes.....

Maybe this walking guide website and app is not for you but please try not suggest that all people that use it are idiots and do not have the ability to buy a map.... would you suggest that the technology is banned?

Please don't assume that many of the people that have written the walks are not experienced walkers and people that enjoy the outdoors - I think they may be offended if they read your comments. The walk writers want to share great places in the UK - this is a good way...

Perhaps, as you say, you could be less negative - take a look at the website - and give us some feedback and help that would mean that more people get the confidence to enjoy walking and all the benefits it brings. Indeed lets encourage people to enjoy the great outdoors.....

p.s. I am not offended - thanks for your frank feedback which is a help of course - regards
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Sorry there is no Android version.. we need some more funds.... the App talks to the database to download and upload info so it is quite complex to code. Unfortunately having the iPhone App does not help much in creating an Android app and the development cost will be about the same.

We really hope that we will get enough users of the app and website that the Android app will follow..... income form App sales alone will not be enough. Indeed for August 2013 the app is free.... so we can build on our current 6,000 registered users.

Feedback wanted from you experienced guys....

we can argue all day long dude, personally i would rather be out side

i dont agree with apps like this or any others, reason being i consider the places i ago sacred and dont want every man and his dog on the tracks, the more you openly disclose good tracks the less fun they become, the more destruction appears, the more litter accumulates, i could go on all day!

reason i listed a few i did is because of experience, i am no professional at what i do but consider myself a fairly experienced walker, climber, cyclist and caver
    and have seen the trouble apps like these bring we had many a lovely place to go ride local and after some people thought it would be a good idea to expose these tracks and trails, they got ruined, to busy to enjoy, littered to hell or the land owners got fed up and closed the access.

please dont assume that i make assumptions, i didnt assume it was google maps i used that as an example as its probably the most well known, also i know many people who do not take a map due to the fact they have a map on the phone they use be it an android/iphone or other equivalent.

you say about the app and the os maps, is this your assumption that people do not keep up to date maps?

you say many people cant read a map and compass?? surely these are the people who need educating on how to read a map and use a compass, not have the process made even easier for them?, with that if they cant use a map or compass then even simplifying the process wont help as they will not know if they are in the right place to start the trail they intend to take?? increasing the possibility of the need for a mountain rescue or similar outfit to help them out.

i never said it was basic i answered your question in the previous post "why would you think that the App does not suggest safety and info about the route?"

again simply answered your question, i know with guide books someone has had to experience what they are trying to make a guide for, it is good to know that the people who contributed to the routes on the app actually went and walked them, rather than copying them from a website, still disagree that the locations should be open to everyone with a minority that will ruin the trails sooner or later, again from experience this will happen. if you don't believe me just watch the trails through out one year.

i never said the app was a map replacement, simply pointing out if you have an up to date map you have no need to print off sheets of paper, but seen as people can use the phone as a map it would have probably been left at home.

as for the gps locator people who use these, would normally know another way of pin pointing there location with out it.

i never said you have to have a map, but more the fool who ventures out to unknown territory with out one, i never take a map when i'm local, but with the slightest concern of going somewhere i dont 100% know then ill take one even if i never use it, and a compass for that matter. its good etiquette and common sense.

again what might be a standard walk in the park for the likes of you and me( very easy, flat paved paths) for others might be impassable so what i grade as easy might be a complete mission for another person, example i'll walk 30km with a 15kg pack no problem for fun because i can, you could take a person who cant even lift a 15kg pack on the same trip and they might not make 10km, so now does the whole what you consider as a grade others might consider it graded to high or too low?? actually hit home??

as for what i said about any idiot can download an app. its true my three year old can download apps does not mean he understands the dangers and other things that come with walking trails etc, same as many people, dont believe me look through a few of the post on the forum about people getting lost on the moors and other places because they are unprepared, dont know how to read a map, let alone own a map, cliff walks in flip flops etc etc

just remember i never said or suggested "that all people that use your app are idiots and do not have the ability to buy a map" you did!!

i will not visit your web site or app or help in any way shape or form that, can encourage or give confidence to people who do not have the experience, knowledge, equipment or common sense to venture out doors, i certainly will not be disclosing any of the routes i use or places i ago because i like them as they are and dont want every man and his dog on them, leaving poo bags in tree's, pop bottles and crisp packets and all manners of other rubbish around the places i love and cherish!

i'm sure there are many that agree and many who dont, same with the app sure many will love it and many will hate it

Madz
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Double Wow!

Sorry Madz I seem to have really have upset you. We obviously have a very different view point...

Our ambition is to educate and make walking accessible for everyone. I think - but don't want to assume! that you do not support that ambition.

i shall not comment on this site again to keep the peace.

many thanks for taking the time to write back.

you have not upset me at all dude

I'll agree on the view points, we do differ.

as for your ambition, its a good one and fair play to you and the others for doing what you have done.

dont leave the forum or feel you cant comment on here, thats what forums are for, i can assure you no peace needs to be kept as none was broken, we all respect each others views here even if they are not seen in the same light