Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iFootpath

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

iFootpath

hello,
    I was sent this article & thought it may interest NBC Posh crafting http://www.ifootpath.com/
    *Welcome to iFootpath, a website and iPhone app to inspire people to get out and enjoy beautiful walks across the UK. From town trails to riverside strolls and countryside rambles, we are building a library of walks for everyone to enjoy - be it alone, with your dog or with family and friends. All iFootpath walks are available to print from the website or to download and take with you on the iFootpath iPhone App.
    Regards
    David

Shame there is no Android version. Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye out for news on other platforms.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Alone in the Wilderness
    Sorry there is no Android version.. we need some more funds.... the App talks to the database to download and upload info so it is quite complex to code. Unfortunately having the iPhone App does not help much in creating an Android app and the development cost will be about the same.

We really hope that we will get enough users of the app and website that the Android app will follow..... income form App sales alone will not be enough. Indeed for August 2013 the app is free.... so we can build on our current 6,000 registered users.

Feedback wanted from you experienced guys....

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    No problem ADz .
    Regards
    David

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Looks good David :0)

Tribesman
    Why is it, I can see more work for Sapper &co....Hmmm
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    Why is it, I can see more work for Sapper &co....Hmmm
    Hmmm, because this is one of the dangerous apps, that brings unexpirienced people out into unfamiliar teritory with a reliance on a cellphone alone?

further discussion here =>
    http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...n-Bushcrafting
    I am in fact a Hobbit in all but size. I like gardens, trees, and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food, (...); I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humor (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late (when possible.) - J.R.R.Tolkien

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbeau View Post
    Hmmm, because this is one of the dangerous apps, that brings unexpirienced people out into unfamiliar teritory with a reliance on a cellphone alone?

further discussion here =>
    http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...n-Bushcrafting
    I don't understand why an App is dangerous? You are making a number of assumptions I would suggest that are not correct....

1 - just because someone has a 'guide' on their phone does not mean that they would not take a map
    2 - why would they not be an experienced walker anyway?
    3 - why would you think that the App does not suggest safety and info about the route?
    4 - what is the difference between having a guide on a phone rather than a guide book?
    5 - you can also take paper copies of the route - free to print?
    6 - Is t any different from taking a GPS map on a Garmin - are these dangerous too?
    7 - how do you know what routes are on the app - many are in cities and towns and are not in open country
    8 - Are you suggesting that no guidance is given on route difficulty?

I would love feedback on the app but only after you have had a look at it or even the website. We are of course well aware that the phone battery can run out - I think very few people don't know that.

The App has been created to inspire people of all abilities to walk and explore - with some confidence of what the walk will be like. The app also gives lots of information about local amenities, where to park, local history, etc. It's certainly not perfect - and it is not and never will be, a replacement for a map.

But to say it is dangerous is perhaps a little strong - it is certainly not more dangerous than going out into a remote area with out a map or a phone....

Happy to answer any questions of course - and thanks for letting me post a reply

[QUOTE=WalkTheTalk;91757]I don't understand why an App is dangerous? You are making a number of assumptions I would suggest that are not correct....

1 - just because someone has a 'guide' on their phone does not mean that they would not take a map
    3 - why would you think that the App does not suggest safety and info about the route?
    4 - what is the difference between having a guide on a phone rather than a guide book?
    6 - Is t any different from taking a GPS map on a Garmin - are these dangerous too?
    7 - how do you know what routes are on the app - many are in cities and towns and are not in open country

I would love feedback on the app but only after you have had a look at it or even the website. We are of course well aware that the phone battery can run out - I think very few people don't know that.

The App has been created to inspire people of all abilities to walk and explore - with some confidence of what the walk will be like. The app also gives lots of information about local amenities, where to park, local history, etc. It's certainly not perfect - and it is not and never will be, a replacement for a map.

But to say it is dangerous is perhaps a little strong - it is certainly not more dangerous than going out into a remote area with out a map or a phone....

Happy to answer any questions of course - and thanks for letting me post a reply[/QUOTE

the app its self is not dangerous, it be the people who use it that make it dangerous, if people use it to its full intention and with other bits of kit that are required on there desired route then all will be fine, but i can say they wont. just a few reasons and answers to your list here. no offence

1 oh i wont take a map i have google maps on my phone.
    2 because any idiot can download an app not many idiots go buy a map
    3 may be very basic to keep the space required for the app to a minimum, so only contains basic information
    4 the difference is there has been a person walk a track to make a guide about it, where as an apps creator may have just pulled rubbish from an internet website thats wrong
    5 go buy a map, no need for paper copies when you have a map or the waste of trees, or was that map left out of the pack because you have google maps on the said phone
    6 people who can afford a gps, normally in some way or another know how to use it properly, and it would not be permanently turned on like a phone, and would have another means of location finding.
    7 personally, i dont know what routes are on the app but where you say many are in towns and cities then it kind of defeats the object of getting out in my eyes
    8 every one grades things differently so what you consider an easy route a person might consider it a no go area, so your route grades are negated

dont mean to sound negative, but to come to a place where every one is into the great out doors and say things like you have is asking for a heated debate.

cheers

Madz
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Alone in the Wilderness
    [QUOTE=MadZ;91789]
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkTheTalk View Post
    I don't understand why an App is dangerous? You are making a number of assumptions I would suggest that are not correct....

Happy to answer any questions of course - and thanks for letting me post a reply[/QUOTE

the app its self is not dangerous, it be the people who use it that make it dangerous, if people use it to its full intention and with other bits of kit that are required on there desired route then all will be fine, but i can say they wont. just a few reasons and answers to your list here. no offence

1 oh i wont take a map i have google maps on my phone.
    2 because any idiot can download an app not many idiots go buy a map
    3 may be very basic to keep the space required for the app to a minimum, so only contains basic information
    4 the difference is there has been a person walk a track to make a guide about it, where as an apps creator may have just pulled rubbish from an internet website thats wrong
    5 go buy a map, no need for paper copies when you have a map or the waste of trees, or was that map left out of the pack because you have google maps on the said phone
    6 people who can afford a gps, normally in some way or another know how to use it properly, and it would not be permanently turned on like a phone, and would have another means of location finding.
    7 personally, i dont know what routes are on the app but where you say many are in towns and cities then it kind of defeats the object of getting out in my eyes
    8 every one grades things differently so what you consider an easy route a person might consider it a no go area, so your route grades are negated

dont mean to sound negative, but to come to a place where every one is into the great out doors and say things like you have is asking for a heated debate.

cheers

Madz
    wow Madz! - thanks for the replies.... but as you would expect I don't agree.....

Could I suggest you at visit the website? - whilst opinions and feedback are always good you again make a number of assumptions that are strange to say the least.

1 - why do you assume it is a google map? It is in fact Apple Maps on the App which show a satellite view - very helpful for many people. Many Apps use OS maps which are always up to date - unlike the paper map you may have in your pocket. (OS maps in Apps do cost a lot....)
    2 - many people cannot read maps or use a compass.... most people can read instructions, and follow a blue dot against a red track to help guide them in the right direction and use this information to compare to a paper map. But I would not suggest they go on the more difficult routes without a map, compass and some knowledge....
    3 - it is not basic - again look at the website it has more (always up to date) info than a guide book. It can be added to and changed.
    4 - All the iFootpath guides have been walked - again your assumption is wrong. The walks are not published unless the route GPS has been created through walking the route.
    5 - don't understand - the app is not a map replacement... it is a guide book replacement with a GPS track to help you find your way
    6 - - so if you buy a GPS gadget you are clever? If you download an app you are an idiot... why? It uses the same technology. You can download the GPS and load it on to a Garmin - free too! - if you want to. So you can use the information on the website without the App - free.
    7 - routes are all over the country to cater for all needs and abilities - again look at the website - some routes start in towns and villages and then go into the countryside... Your original assumption is that you have to have a map - I am pointing out that you don't always need a map.
    8 - what? The grades are not the only help.... we include other help about access, parking, gates, stiles, farms, etc. so you would rather not have any info? We have sought help from people with disabilities so that we can include the things that they may want to know - for example recent feedback asked for width info on canal towpaths and routes.....

Maybe this walking guide website and app is not for you but please try not suggest that all people that use it are idiots and do not have the ability to buy a map.... would you suggest that the technology is banned?

Please don't assume that many of the people that have written the walks are not experienced walkers and people that enjoy the outdoors - I think they may be offended if they read your comments. The walk writers want to share great places in the UK - this is a good way...

Perhaps, as you say, you could be less negative - take a look at the website - and give us some feedback and help that would mean that more people get the confidence to enjoy walking and all the benefits it brings. Indeed lets encourage people to enjoy the great outdoors.....

p.s. I am not offended - thanks for your frank feedback which is a help of course - regards
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 09:52 AM.