Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting small game on a catapult

I know you you can't. Formerly a shadow ranger for the FC. :-)
    Winter is coming

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I'm starting to get there with my catapult. I'm just trying to make sure I can get good grouping, but not on quarry. Until then it's snares and an air rifle.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

I no longer hunt Bugs Bunny (only reason is I'm not that fond of the meat) but would say I'd never use a catapult for hunting, far too hit and miss for me and I only ever used air rifles or shotguns in the past (just my view). Good luck though just make sure your clean kill ratio is a match for when using an air rifle.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

I've always raised an eyebrow when people have mentioned hunting with a catapult, or when they (always unsuccessfully) try it on survival programs on TV - I just don't believe that a catapult can generate enough force/power to kill decent sized game. Rats fair enough, but nothing bigger surely? Happy to proven wrong though as a black widow in the pack takes up little space!

Time would be better spent making a bow if you found yourself in a survival situation though, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogsSlave View Post
    I've always raised an eyebrow when people have mentioned hunting with a catapult, or when they (always unsuccessfully) try it on survival programs on TV - I just don't believe that a catapult can generate enough force/power to kill decent sized game. Rats fair enough, but nothing bigger surely? Happy to proven wrong though as a black widow in the pack takes up little space!

Time would be better spent making a bow if you found yourself in a survival situation though, surely?
    I think in the UK as well as Norway, if you find yourself in a survival situation, the wise way to spend your time is to go home.
    and if you can't, pick up your phone and call rescue services...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Yes, but where's the fun in that?

I wouldn't consider them as a useless kit item, tbh poachers used them to good (or ill) effect for years. But it takes practice and lots of it. Also band strength and ammo comes into play. What would be interesting though is is someone measured the impact force with different ammo and bands. The only tests I've seen have been chrono tests, so a good video measuring impact force, projectile speed and how different conditions like wind would affect a catapult would likely interest us all.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

i love my catty got it for £2... bargain ive took a few rabbits with it as its been said use consistant ammo lead or marbles are my fave just find a grip you like and practace
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

I made mine with a wood fork, I used Theraband on it. I know it chucks out some power with marbles as ammo.
    Border Bushcrafters