Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kestrel Attacking a Ferret.

Unfortunately if it is a captive kestrel it won't be around for long. The weight is so critical on small falcons that they don't have to lose too much before it becomes fatal. Good call on the IBR as many falconers do register their birds as the fees are so reasonable and if you do get the opportunity to see it yourself look at the legs and see if it has any rings or rather large looking straps of leather that the falconer would use for holding the falcon on the glove or perch. If there are any then I would put some scraps of meat out to keep it going and use the IBR to put a call out for another falconer to capture it.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I would agree with you regarding the size aspect, but we know that the other species are always right!
    Nice one lol..

Sounds a strange one and maybe possible. Nature has no boxes..
    My heart sank a bit when I read the title to this fred, cos my jills escaped a while ago and we only recovered one of them. I am still missing Ginger :0( I hope she is still alive out there somewhere..

Trapper
    personally, id be baiting the garden to despatch the beast... no matter the ilk, i little harsh maybe... but if some random creature had a go at my dog... well, im sure i dont have to go in to details hehe... though im not sure on the laws around killing birds wild or not, so maybe it isnt such a good idea...

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungen of Bury View Post
    personally, id be baiting the garden to despatch the beast... no matter the ilk, i little harsh maybe... but if some random creature had a go at my dog... well, im sure i dont have to go in to details hehe... though im not sure on the laws around killing birds wild or not, so maybe it isnt such a good idea...
    Not a good idea at all. Have a google search at the fines you get for killing birds of prey. You are on the wrong forum if you think thats a good idea..

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    " though im not sure on the laws around killing birds wild or not, so maybe it isnt such a good idea..."

If you spend time in the countryside, it's worth knowing about this...If only for your own protection.

" Wildlife Offences: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service"

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Not a good idea at all. Have a google search at the fines you get for killing birds of prey. You are on the wrong forum if you think thats a good idea..
    Much better explained than my feeble attempt JonnyP..

Banned
    I watched once as my friends tortoise was attacked by a kestrel resisting the urge to help as the thing was a good 12 inches in dim and it just pulled its bits in and waited the kestrel got bored and flew away 10 mins later the tortoise popped out as if to say is it finished yet
    So a ferret is relatively small in comparison my experience is that wild birds of prey do silly things when injured or desperate maybe keep an eye out as the bird may be in need of your help

As regards to baiting a bop pop round my gaff ill make you some hemlock tea

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Well put Jonny, couldn't agree more.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Trapper
    Wouldnt dream of harming a bird of prey. No point trying to bait it. Any food left out of more than 5 minutes would be gobbled by the million and one other critters around here.
    Bloody magpies keep trying to nick the ferret food. Don't mind shooting them buggers !

Quote Originally Posted by Yungen of Bury View Post
    Cant believe you said that......These raptors have more right to be here than our domesticated pets, however passionate we feel about them. Wildlife and Countryside act packs some seriously heavy punch like 5 year plus jail terms and multi zero (like more than 5) fine amounts

Steve if you ever need any help pest controlling Im happy to pop down and join you
    [