Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: possible lymes disease.

possible lymes disease.

4 days ago my nipper Ben complained of a pain in his arm pit,as he had been doing the monkey bars the day before we assumed he had pulled a muscle,yesterday he was in tears with the pain so we took him to the docs,sadly it was the most useless doc in the practice so he said it was just an abscess and gave Ben a course of antibiotics,being inquisitive i spoke to a senior health worker i know and she expressed surprise that the doc had taken that course of action as apparently it is well known that this particular type of abscess dosnt normally respond to this treatment and usually it is lanced drained,flushed and packed,she also said given Ben's spleen trauma earlier in the year it was not uncommon to get this malody,so Mrs fish took Ben off to hospital A&E yesterday evening,the Doc at once said it wasn't an abscess and clearly not so and was confused the GP had made such a mistake,he diagnosed Ben's problem as an unknown infection of the lymph gland and took bloods to look for white blood cell count and an array of possibilities,Mrs fish mentioned the boys spend a hell of a lot of time in the fields and woods as she thought it might be poignant.Ben was sent home with the correct dose of antibiotics as the GP had given him the dose for an infant! and told to return for an ultrasound in the morning.
    So today on the way to the hospital i asked Mrs fish if she had mentioned the possibility of lymes disease,she had not and surprisingly the hospital doc hadnt asked either given he was told about our outdoor life,so today the doc was informed of the possibility of contact with ticks and straight away he said that made sense and that he would begin treatment for it straight away and Ben is to return to the hospital next Friday to see how he is responding and what the labs have come up with.
    So lesson to be learned folks,at no time did Ben realise he had a tick nor did we and there was no tick to be seen,be careful out there folks and follow your instincts not what the cheap doctor says!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Tribesman
    Personal experiences like yours, are probably the best 'wake up' call to us all Justin.
    I hope Ben responds to the treatment and is back to full health soon.
    Tony
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Send him a big hug from us lot mate and I hope he recovers quickly.

Its a shame that some doctors just pull out their pads and dispense tablets instead of actually ascertaining all the problems it could be. I suppose you can get it in all professions, many of them just 'going through the motions' after loosing interest years earlier, or even too many patients, not enough time.

this doc is known for it,a mate lost a Fallopian tube as the doc didnt diagnose an ectopic pregnancy at 7 weeks!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

I wish Ben a speedy recovery.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Speedy recovery to Ben

May he recover quickly .
    This year in my area, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of deer ticks. My uncle had one under his left eye - he thought it was a scab - and soon a swelling developed. My mother took a look, saw the legs, and of to the doc we went. Caught it early, fortunately, and with two prescribed antibiotics, he was fine.
    They are tiny little things, and you need a good eye to spot them else you confuse them for a freckle.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Hope he gets better soon

Samuel Hearne
    I have seen many tick bites and have seen some fester where the blokes have not found them and they reported to the medic where I would look at the site and clean the area and get a Dr to confirm what it might be, so they could prescribe the right treatment, sometimes this was not always possible so would speak to a Dr via radio and then carry out what the Dr would advise most of the time it was a case of issuing them with antibiotics and advising them to keep the area clean.
    Ben I wish a speedy recovery and think that the 1st Dr should be retrained (do a refresher)

both me and my wife have had ticks on us but thankfully they were spotted and at that point hadn't attached themselves.
    My thought are that due to the increase in Roe deer in my area at least there has been a sharp rise in tick numbers I got onto the local council because we seemed to be picking them up in the long grass surrounding our local riverside park needless to say they've not lifted a finger to help the situation quite the opposite infact they leave more 'wild areas' uncut so making the problem worse of course the wild areas are just a cost cutting measure to reduce the grass cutting bill.

Fish hope the lad makes a full and fast recovery good that you and your missus followed your instincts and took no notice of that quack.............All the best Magnet