Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind horse knives GNS

Wanderer

Blind horse knives GNS

Awwww bloody hell ... Had just sort of decided to build my own knife cos I couldn't make up my mind which I would like to buy (off the shelf as it were ) and I recived an e mail from blind horse knives showing the monthly special the GNS what ever that stands for , and now I am all over the place again ......anyone else seen it / like it ...............................opinions ????????

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    You mean this link? http://www.blindhorseknives.com/july13.htm
    There's plenty of talent within the NBC who could assist you with a similar blade BTW
    Regards
    David

GNS (GoNoShow) is based on the SRI knife BHK (BlindHorseKnives) make for Self Reliance Illustrated magazine.

SRI knife: http://selfrelianceillustrated.com/SRIKnife.htm

GNS is the SRI knife with £40.00 of fancy removed. Mine is ordered... now the 90 day wait.
    Phil

Wanderer
    Looks like the same knife .... How much is GNS

GNS: $115.00 / £76.15 @ todays exchange.
    Phil

Looks like a decent knife with a good grind as well. I say the latter because I was sent the PLSK1 to put a better bevel on it, BHK had put a 24 degree Scandi grind bevel on a 3/16" thick knife, and the owner had massive issues with cutting (as per all the reviews state), as well as keeping an edge. I put an 18 degree bevel on it and it made a massive improvement to it's cutting and slicing abilities, as expected. O-1 is an amazing knife steel, if done right. For that knife, package, steel and price, I'd say go for it, BHK makes some damned good knives! And they make some lemons too, PLSK as an example.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_R View Post
    GNS: $115.00 / £76.15 @ todays exchange.
    Thats a very good price!

Cheaper than I can do! A STKR knife like that would start at $170 my price.....

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I remember a maker over on BB, think it was Rob Evans , who did budget bushcrafters for a while, plain wood handle, basic pins, simple blade all for a basic price of around £60-£70, I think they went down well, definitely were good value for money
    A lot of makers now get their blades laser cut and heat treated by a third party and thus don't have to worry about cutting out the blades themselves, so I'm sure there's room for a budget bushcraft model out there if a maker could do them for around Robs price, no fancy wood or high polished finishes, just a die hard user.. Would be great to see if that were feasible.
    Last edited by luresalive; 16-07-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Agreed. My Scouts are so popular I have to get them laser cut, but still is pricey up front, around $500 to get 30 blanks, but does make much easier. Past that, sanding belt cost adds up, as well as cost plus shipping for micarta (ordered 2x black canvas scales, 2x OD canvas scales, and one caramel linen micarta yesterday to make ceramic rod and ferro rod handles, total cost was around $35, but shipping was same price for that small order..... my kydex orders are similar, unit price doubles with cheap shipping), add in brass for the pins (locally bought, as well as exotic wood), handle shaping takes a couple hours and a half dozen $2 belts........ is difficult to offer a reasonably priced knife for under $100, but that's what I do with my Scouts, paracord wrapped handle with a simple Kydex neck sheath is $100....