Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Byer MicroRope Hammock System?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    It's true, the narrow rope can under tension cut into the trees nutrient mechanism in the inner bark, effectively 'ringing' the tree. Generally woopie slings are used in conjunction with tree huggers, the huggers spread the load more evenly across the bark and don't cause this damage.
    The DD suspension system's not a bad deal to be fair, although you could do it without the krabs and just larks head the woopies directly onto the hammock using the woopies fixed eye. If your worried about water ingress just tie a bit of paracord onto the woopie to act as a drip line .
    Ah now I see, not looked into them properley yet. So the whoopie slings are for replacing the webbing in the hammock itself and then these connect to the huggers that go round tree?
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Thanks Kit Mac.

Don't worry Adz, not having a go, just sending out a little message to folks there. Hanging a hammock is one of those things that you never stop learning about really. I would recommend watching Shug Emery's series of 'Hammock How To's' on YouTube for anyone thinking of tree dwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Thanks Kit Mac.

Don't worry Adz, not having a go, just sending out a little message to folks there. Hanging a hammock is one of those things that you never stop learning about really. I would recommend watching Shug Emery's series of 'Hammock How To's' on YouTube for anyone thinking of tree dwelling.
    Yeah been meaning to have a good sit and watch through his vids, Last time I tried was tired and couldnt take in what he was saying properley because of his style, Will give it another go.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

You'd be surprised how soft some trees can be. Even the standard rope that comes with most hammocks can leave a ring groove on trees. Especially when the sap is rising.
    It may not cause permanent damage that often, but best to avoid any risk at all, if possible
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 05-07-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typed "same" instead of "sap"
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Adz I've got a couple of different hammocks with different suspension systems. If you ever want to try before you buy gimme a shout. Same goes for your sharpening stones thread, I've got ice bears and some Arkansas stones if you want to have a go

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    Adz I've got a couple of different hammocks with different suspension systems. If you ever want to try before you buy gimme a shout. Same goes for your sharpening stones thread, I've got ice bears and some Arkansas stones if you want to have a go
    Thnx for the offer bud, much appreciated.

I'm away next weekend at the meet in Wales so that should give me opportunity to see some different hammock setups and have a go in my own.

Which systems do you have/prefer out of curiosity?

Hey Adz, Where and what is the welsh event ?. I only seem to see them on here ( in Events ) after the event. Is there a forum that I'me not seeing on here ? LNT, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Hey Adz, Where and what is the welsh event ?. I only seem to see them on here ( in Events ) after the event. Is there a forum that I'me not seeing on here ? LNT, Ken
    Firstly let me welcome you to the forum...Why not pop over to the intros thread and say 'h'i to the forum.

The meet of which Adz is discussing is this one

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...light=northern
    [

I've got webbing and descender rings on one of my hammocks and woopies with tree huggers on my other. The woopies win hands down.

Go with the tree huggers rather than the Boston stranglers mate. I'l be bringing some stuff to NS3, so you can see what makes hanging easier for you.

I wouldn't worry about the suspension mate for a test weekend, If you can knock up a cheap underquilt from a bargain sleeping bag, try that on the second night after trying the thermarest on the first. That'l be the biggi, comfort ! was to me anyway. That said, you barely notice those Poundland windscreen reflectors. (buy two) adequate for this weather and far more comfortable than karrimats, deffo more than inflatable ones. Give it a try mate, 2