Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from a new member

Alone in the Wilderness Fallschirmwomble's Avatar

Hi from a new member

Hi all,

My best friend (also BC oppo) recommended to me some articles on this website and I am impressed by what I've seen so far. Well done and thankyou, Ashley C (and contributers).

I've been into bushcraft since I was a kid in the '70s, though it was more as a teenager in the early '80s that I began to pick up and practise proper bushcraft principles. These were honed through military service and numerous hikes and rockclimbing trips. Self-taught originally from books, the internet has turbocharged my development, enthusing me along the way.

One of the benefits of BC is that it should never cost much in the way of money - and this, especially these days, suits me well 'cause I rarely have enough disposable income with which to do much! I try to keep it real by focusing my BC knowledge/practice relevant to UK/Europe: it'll be a LONG while before - if ever - I get a chance to travel to terrains more exotic.

A creature of habit, I'm very much old school, relying on what's tried and tested for me - aside from my rucksack and clothing, most of my kit is military issue or orientated. I've not yet tried hammock camping so this is what I'm working on presently.

I try to make my own kit wherever possible - MUCH cheaper than shop produced kit, more suited to my preferences and part of my skills development. Over the past months, I've been knitting hammocks. In the past week, I've made some "Magic Biscuits" in various combinations of wax and petroleum jelly: to be tested when I can coax my oppo outdoors for a natural BBQ. I'm looking forward to that!

Outside BC, my hobbies/interests include: military history, British webbing of the 20th century, British Airborne Forces parachute kit, DIY, cooking/eating, fitness (also my profession) and photography (a former profession to which I'll be returning).

I look forward to gaining knowledge/skills and sharing these with you all.

Regards,

FW
    MMXIII

Hi, thanks for the good intro and to NB
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Welcome to Natural Bushcraft FW

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Welcome.

Regards diy kit and budget bushcraft- there is a whole section dedicated to it.

I've made my own whipped end hammock and bugnet for under twenty quid. Just keep an eye out for untreated nylon in fabric shops or flea bay. Power netting is good for bugnets too - the stuff used for making thick tights.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Hello and welcome to the forum..

Welcome FW
    [

welcome to the forum bud

Hello and !
    Check out my leatherwork: http://snowleopardleathergoods.jimdo.com
    Thanks,

Joel

A WARM WELCOME FROM NORTH WALES.
    Cheers Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Welcome to the forum buddy. Great bunch of people here where everyone is treated equally regardless of knowledge, money or experience.

All the best
    Ade.