Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone from the North west ? - Lancashire, Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside...

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I think Iain and Brian have pretty much said all I was going to. But if it helps here is my general kit list and all that is added to it is food and clothing depending on duration out. I'm a bit of a minimalist as Brian will no doubt testify to.

Rucksack/Backpack - mines a 35 litre NI patrol pack, you will probably want something a little bigger 40-60 litres maybe.
    Sleeping system
    Hammock - Mines DIY and cost about £10 to make + Straps and Carabiners
    Midge Net - Once again DIY
    Sleeping bag (at least 0 degree comfort temp) - I have a highlander Challanger light 150
    Roll Mat
    Tarp - I would suggest 3mx3m minimum, however I do occassionaly use a smaller 1.8m x 2.85m which is useable but a bit tight.
    Bivvy bag (optional) - I carry one in case I need to go to ground up on the moors.
    Cook System
    Individual Billy Can
    Gas Stove and Fuel
    Wood Burner / Brazier - low impact open fire cooking.
    Spoon/Spork
    Axe/Hatchet
    Folding Saw
    Spare Cordage - 100' of paracord & 300' of jute twine
    Dry/Night Clothes
    Utility Knife - Mora Clipper etc...
    Carving/Spoon Knife
    Bino's
    Mug
    Waterbottle/container
    Washkit/Tooth Brush

Hope this helps you in your quest for kit.

If you do fancy just getting out for an hour or two and having a quick chat or look at some things then I am out on the west pennine moors pretty much every night with my Mutts, can easily arrange to meet up near Darwen or Chorley.

Mike
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Mike, you could fit all your gear in a sock ! lol.

I will endeavour to spend some cash on kit without the missus finding out! ; )
    Good luck with that one kidda !
    There's no brew without fire.

Trapper
    Hi klause,

Hope your studying is going ok, trying to organise a meet up on the 21st or 22nd May. I have send a messeage to Mike Wilkinson asking him if he is interested and maybe meet up by his end of the woods. He seems to be more expreienced in his bushcraft and has a good area to practise. So hope to hear from u soon.
    Cheers
    Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom View Post
    Hi klause,

Hope your studying is going ok, trying to organise a meet up on the 21st or 22nd May. I have send a messeage to Mike Wilkinson asking him if he is interested and maybe meet up by his end of the woods. He seems to be more expreienced in his bushcraft and has a good area to practise. So hope to hear from u soon.
    Cheers
    Phil.
    Without wanting to crash the bash, if I'm free i'd love to try and meet up for an hour or two on the Saturday night...no sleeping gear sorted properly yet though?

Let me know.

Luke
    "And did those feet in ancient time, Walk upon England's mountain green?.....'Till we have built Jerusalem, In England's green and pleasant land."

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've not been on much recently, work has been a bit mental since I got back from Holiday. I'm planning on stopping out overnight this friday(21st) up on the moors, a large camp fire will be a no no due to recent events and I won't be using any of my usual spots due to them being well cooked after the moor fires early in the month.
    (Bloody arsonists and smokers!!!!)

I've got a small site in mind that can probably accomodate a couple of other people, (one or two hammocks and a couple of flattish areas for a tent or Bivi). Wood stoves and gas stoves shouldn't be a problem and maybe a small managed fire. There is plenty of foraging and some excellent Photo ops.
    I'm gonna be packed up early Sat, gotta be home for 0930 so any skills sharing and practice will probably be done Friday night if you want to.

PM me if you would like to know more.

Mike
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Looks like it is going to be just me this evening, Had a wonder up on the moors Wednesday, checked out the new growth in the burnt out sections of moor (it is amazing how quick it grows back) and took a little wonder through the lower areas of Tockholes plantation. Found a cracking spot suitable for medium sized group (3-8 people), plenty of hammock and small tent locations, so will be using there. I plan to be at the car park for about 1830. Its a small walk in to the site - about 30 mins.

would of loved it mike but girl friend problem lol

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Looks like it is going to be just me this evening, Had a wonder up on the moors Wednesday, checked out the new growth in the burnt out sections of moor (it is amazing how quick it grows back) and took a little wonder through the lower areas of Tockholes plantation. Found a cracking spot suitable for medium sized group (3-8 people), plenty of hammock and small tent locations, so will be using there. I plan to be at the car park for about 1830. Its a small walk in to the site - about 30 mins.
    Sorry Mike, just read you're post. Been maxxed out since work, firkin banks are useless and I have spent the best part of 45 minutes on the phone to them!! GRRR!!

The weather look pretty mild this evening having spent all day not making it's mind up!

Let me know how you got on - have a good weekend buddy.

Luke
    "And did those feet in ancient time, Walk upon England's mountain green?.....'Till we have built Jerusalem, In England's green and pleasant land."

Well, it is 2230, Had a fine wild salad for tea this evening, made a nice chair to chill by the fire. Now just chillin' in the hammock, listening to the Owls. I'll post some photos when I get back home 2moro. Missed a cracking evening.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Well, it is 2230, Had a fine wild salad for tea this evening, made a nice chair to chill by the fire. Now just chillin' in the hammock, listening to the Owls. I'll post some photos when I get back home 2moro. Missed a cracking evening.
    I look forward t seeing the photos Mike!

ATB