Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone from the North west ? - Lancashire, Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside...

Anyone from the North west ? - Lancashire, Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside...

For anyone wishing to meet up with people from the Northwest as there are no N/W groups (as far as i'm aware).

I'm from Newton, just off the East Lancashire road at Haydock Island...Thanks...
    Last edited by klause; 20-01-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Hey buddy, not far from you. I'm in Blackrod near Bolton, just off of the M61 (Three miles southwest of the bloody big antannae on winter hill). Right on the edge of the west penine moors. I'm out on the hills pretty much every night.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Hi Mike & thanks for replying.
    Your the first person from Lancashire way i've spoke to on here! I'm pretty new to this bushcraft lark to be honest with you, nearly got my kit sorted (ive enough to go out with the boy for a couple of days) gona have a right good go at it this year......

We want to achieve fire via the bow drill meathod, fire without modern help wouldn't that be something to learn with my boy?
    There's no brew without fire.

hey you both doin meet up im from farnworth

Hi Basic, Klause

That looks suspiciously like Wilderswood your in there.

I didn't get out much over night last year, Work and family commitments This year isn't really looking much better to tell the truth, but I'm going to try and make an effort a bit more. I'm out pretty much every night on the moors from 1900 till 2100 and I am out for a several hours most weekends. With spring coming I'm gonna be teaching my little un a bit more and getting her out doing some Rock climbing too.

On my evening rambles with the hound I usually devote a lot of my time to one Bushcraft activity or another, be it debris shelter building and fire lighting to wood carving and making cordage. I also do a fair bit of foraging in the spring and summer - there is plenty of ramsons, wood sorrel, saxifrage and other delights around here - Dandelion and burdock beer being a must every spring!

As Ashley will no doubt testify to - I am a bit of a Birch nutter and love finding new ways to use this wonderful resource that we have in abudance around here, so make quite a lot of Birch containers, spoons, cups and also bark knife sheaths, as well as using it for fire lighting and the sap for wine!

Klause, I played around with fire by friction last year, Can pretty much get an ember everytime and have lit the odd fire with it - even in the snow. More than willing to give you a few useful pointers, biggest hint is make sure you get good wood when first starting out, then as you get the skill dialled move onto more difficult woods and situations, I'm hoping to be able to get it to work with wet wood this year.

Give me a PM or a shout on here if you fancy meeting up, even if it is just for a few hours on a weekend or evening, I'm pretty flexible with where I can get to, but if you can get over here there are loads of great little places to use for 'crafting.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Thanks Mike, Basic.
    It is good to know that there are some 'Bushcrafters within reach of where we live and i would love to meet up sometime and get to know you both. There are some places where we live but they are often visited by morons and therefore no too safe for overnighting, so it would be us who would most probibly have to travel to a meet.
    I see that the both of you are experienced bushcrafters, so any knowledge that you could possibly pass on to my son and i would be most welcome and greatly appreciated. (i have a yearning to make a 100% natural fire)...
    I am currently studying for my finals and need to be handing in numerous assignments ! (3 by Monday ! - "the pressure")....but hopefully i'll need a break and what would be a better way to unwind than by meeting some new people and learning some new skills.....

So thanks again for replying and I hope we can encourage others from our area to join us in some bushcrafting.....
    Klause & Son....

Hi Folks
    I'm Brian from Preston and also new to Bushcrafting and have got some kit togeather for hammocking but am struggling to fine suitable locations. I'm not frightend of the cold in fact I think those crisp bright frozen days and nights are the best. Would also love to lern some bushcraft tecniques and skills.
    A local meet sounds like a great idea lets find some time and dates
    Brian

Hi Brian, welcome to nb.
    I am currently studying for my final exams so after that i'm up for a meet, glad to hear from you and hope tp speak soon.

thanks Brian..........Iain and Jack.

hey anyone up for a quick over night over rivington moors some time

I'm game Basic, right on my doorstep, I'm up there everynight anyway.

Where and when?