Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your choice of pillow for a hammock?

I use a rolled up fleece/other clothing. If it slips away during the night I don't really miss it so it can't be essential for me.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

When you start hammocking mate you will realise..

A. you don't need a pillow

B. if you try to use a pillow, you will lose sleep trying to find where it is.

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Rolled up poncho liner works well. I use a basha set up as a bridge hammock, is flatter and tighter, so I can sleep on my side well, and a pillow is needed.
    Any chance of a photo of that set up,
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

ADz,

I must be the odd one out, I use a small Vango Pillow, silky one side and velvety the other, I have it in the hood of my sleeping bag which stops it moving around. Packs down to about 6" x 3" and could be compressed much more

Mainly used in winter as extra insulation, tend not to use it much in summer but I do find it more comfortable when when I use it, that's only my opinion
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post
    ADz,

I must be the odd one out, I use a small Vango Pillow, silky one side and velvety the other, I have it in the hood of my sleeping bag which stops it moving around. Packs down to about 6" x 3" and could be compressed much more

Mainly used in winter as extra insulation, tend not to use it much in summer but I do find it more comfortable when when I use it, that's only my opinion

Thnx bud. I'm going to be taking my pillow and maybe buy the exped neck pillow aswell, that way I can see which I prefer, ie none/air pillow/neck pillow, But its good to hear other peoples opinions/recommendations aswell
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Trapper
    Hi Adz, I too use a pillow. One of these . http://www.gelert.com/products/comfort_fleece_pillow. Is nice and light and rolls up tight.
    It's all down to personal preference and the position you sleep in. I find it makes all the difference.

I also use rolled up clothing - just a shirt works well enough for me.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I use a trek mates deluxe pillow. Works well and is very comfy!!

Can't see any reason why the pillow you have won't work fine mate!!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I always use a pillow. I have an Exped air pillow and it's great. I find it just the right size to fit in the hammock and when you get it inflated right it doesn't move around. Like you said, it packs down to nothing and it weighs virtually nothing so why not take it?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Peasant
    I use the side wall of the hammock which i find folds over nicely to make a wee shelf i can stick my head on. But i lie on my side so i dont know if thatll work lying on your back or not