Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your choice of pillow for a hammock?

Question Your choice of pillow for a hammock?

Just looking for some idea of what type you're all using for a pillow in hammock as I am new to hammocking. I currently have a Exped air pillow which is awesome as it packs down to nothing and is really comfortable however I have only used it in a tent but not sure if it would be suitable or not in hammock environment, too wide and may slip about maybe?

Exped also do a neck pillow so wondering if this may be a better choice as it would go round neck and maybe give better support.

So just looking for some advice/recommendations/preferences from experienced hammockers on which they use/prefer and why? Either way I think I may get the neck pillow and take both and see which I prefer but still curious as to other peoples prefs.

......Or do you use clothing/bag etc or not use a pillow?

Adam.
    Last edited by ADz; 28-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Never found I needed a pillow in my hammock Adz. If your 'asym' laying, the fabric at the head side comes up to make a comfy place for your head as is.

Ive never used a pillow in the hammock never needed to

never needed a pillow in a hammock....and I'm far too tight to spend money on one anyway.......spare kit in a stuff sack or my rucksack...
    Last edited by Silverback; 28-06-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    [

Same as said above, never used a pillow in a hammock, and never felt the need. I do know a couple people that do use them though, and their pillow of choice is the snugpak softie. Seems really thin to me, so not sure how much difference it would make. Not tried it myself, so couldn't really recommend it, or others.
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 29-06-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Don't take a pillow myself. As I use my sleeping bag opened up as a quilt, the hood part sometimes gets pulled around and tucked under my head. Occasionally if the old aches are getting to me then my down coat may get used but generally its comfy enough without.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks pretty much like I wont need it in the hammock then if nobody else bothers/thinks its necessary. I'll probably take it with me to the meet still though to try out and if not needed one of the other lads on ground can use it over weekend if they want.

Thnx again chaps
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Those exped pillows are nice looking, quite fancy one for tent camping. The old drybag with a jumper works fine but a little luxury never hurt anyone .

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    Those exped pillows are nice looking, quite fancy one for tent camping. The old drybag with a jumper works fine but a little luxury never hurt anyone .
    Indeed, I love anything that does the job well and also packs down really small. Its like a NeoAir for your head, trick is to not overfill but to get air amount just right

Rolled up poncho liner works well. I use a basha set up as a bridge hammock, is flatter and tighter, so I can sleep on my side well, and a pillow is needed.