Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just found a really nice looking woodland about 20miles from me.

there is that also...

Well I would never do/say that.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    ADz if I can make a suggestion? If you can find an area that looks promising, say a small piece of woodland/scrub, make enquiries to find the owner. If it's farmland very often the offer of 'free labour' in exchange for permission to use the wood will do the trick. Tell them what you wish to do ie: low impact Bushcrafting.
    I used to do a lot of Pidgeon shooting, some farmers in those days wanted up to £30 a day!! I used to work a few days stacking straw bales, putting up/repairing fencing, anything, I even emulsioned the inside of the farm office one weekend. Used to leave them a phone number, if they wanted a hand with anything they knew they'd only have to give me a call. Once they knew me it worked a treat.
    Result..I had shooting over 4 farms, camp overnight if I wanted and never paid a penny..
    It's a pain to find and means a bit of legwork but farmers/landowners don't often turn down extra...free..labour. Good luck mate.

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    very often the offer of 'free labour' in exchange for permission to use the wood will do the trick.
    Thats how I got the 9 acres I have...with an option on another 100 if i do a good job with the existing 9....so far the deal is rent free until I can make it pay for itself
    [

Hi Adz,
    I can sense your keen to get out in the woods. Have you considered a quiet camp site near to a nature reserve where you can camp legally for a small fee and still visit the woodlands and reserve area for a walk and brew etc.
    I have seen this one near you and it looks interesting and is next to a nature reserve. You probable know the area better than I , but just a thought where you can get out without any apprehension.
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/de...asp?revid=7657
    I have done this in Snowdonia using a small camp site as a base and walking into the forestry areas to my hearts content. Not exactly wild camping but I still managed to get out.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

My advice would be to pick a nice night, have a belly full of grub beforehand, go for a night time walk and stop up somewhere for an all night sit down/shuteye - you don't have to have a fire or have to have a shelter or camp to be in the woods.

That's a great bit of advice Saxon, often thought it awkward to ring a farming asking permission there's nothing possitive in it for him but doing odd job I'm sure most would more than happily let you camp.
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Under My Basha View Post
    That's a great bit of advice Saxon, often thought it awkward to ring a farming asking permission there's nothing possitive in it for him but doing odd job I'm sure most would more than happily let you camp.

[

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    ADz if I can make a suggestion? If you can find an area that looks promising, say a small piece of woodland/scrub, make enquiries to find the owner. If it's farmland very often the offer of 'free labour' in exchange for permission to use the wood will do the trick. Tell them what you wish to do ie: low impact Bushcrafting.
    I used to do a lot of Pidgeon shooting, some farmers in those days wanted up to £30 a day!! I used to work a few days stacking straw bales, putting up/repairing fencing, anything, I even emulsioned the inside of the farm office one weekend. Used to leave them a phone number, if they wanted a hand with anything they knew they'd only have to give me a call. Once they knew me it worked a treat.
    Result..I had shooting over 4 farms, camp overnight if I wanted and never paid a penny..
    It's a pain to find and means a bit of legwork but farmers/landowners don't often turn down extra...free..labour. Good luck mate.
    I would love too but never knew how to approach/start converstaion or how to find owner other then to knock on doors and then would probably muck it up. I'll go on a bit of a reccy and see if I spot anybody and try offer some labour, Thanks for advice bud, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    Hi Adz,
    I can sense your keen to get out in the woods. Have you considered a quiet camp site near to a nature reserve where you can camp legally for a small fee and still visit the woodlands and reserve area for a walk and brew etc.
    I have seen this one near you and it looks interesting and is next to a nature reserve. You probable know the area better than I , but just a thought where you can get out without any apprehension.
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/de...asp?revid=7657
    I have done this in Snowdonia using a small camp site as a base and walking into the forestry areas to my hearts content. Not exactly wild camping but I still managed to get out.
    Tbh its mostly the overnight in woods that I'm looking forward too. I have camped on many a site over the years and would just really love to go wild more, Its becoming an obsession that I need to feed.

I have absolutely no problem with stealth camping as long as I have respect and leave no trace, If I was caught by land owner I would just explain and hopefully he would see that I wasn't doing any harm and then as mentioned I could have a chat and offer some labor. Ideally though it would be good to get some prior permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    My advice would be to pick a nice night, have a belly full of grub beforehand, go for a night time walk and stop up somewhere for an all night sit down/shuteye - you don't have to have a fire or have to have a shelter or camp to be in the woods.
    It was mostly just to chill out and do a hammock camp in the woods really. It looks like there is plenty of other smaller locations in area (non-reserve) which would be more suitable for the over-nighter and I could just spend day walking about the reserve

I just got excited when I found the place as I have been seeing allot of videos of people spending in nights in such places and I have been so jealous.

Thanks for the replies/constructive advice guys, much appreciated
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"