Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread prefix's

Thread prefix's

I think it would be a good idea to enable thread prefix options on sections like the BSG forum so that we can see at a glance which topics are for Sale/Sold/Wanted/Trade/Gift etc.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

I know I have just woken up but....

What?

I lost you at 'it' care to enlarge on your feedback
    Last edited by Silverback; 26-06-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    [

I think I know what you mean. Generally though, a thread in the BSG (buy, sell, gift) section should include "for sale", or "wanted", etc. Once an item is sold, it can be closed by a mod, but that's only done if the original poster asks for it to be close (at the moment).

All post listed in the "whats new" section, tell you which sub forum they are under too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post display format.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	9127
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 26-06-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Ahhhhhh !....next question...Why, What does it bring ?
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Ahhhhhh !....next question...Why, What does it bring ?
    Sorry guys, was a late night post, Looking back it could have been allot more clearer lol, Here goes...

It's basically for separating multiple types of topics rather then having subsections in a forum like the BSG. It brings easy and simple at a glance organization to a forum section. Its a inbuilt feature of vBulletin (The forum code this site uses).

It enables you to put a color word/tag automatically at begining of your post in title by choosing a prefix like [WANTED] , [FOR SALE] , [SOLD], [TRADE] , [GIFT]. (Note to Ash: To color you will need to use html tags)

This is used on many forums and makes browsing/posting in some types of section much more organized because you can see at a glance which topic is which type.

A quick example is the classifieds section on BCUK but its also used on many other vBulletin and other forums, however it must be enabled on a per forum basis in Admin manager and you can pre-define the prefixes that are chooseable by user when creating topic.

Example...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage View Post
    I think I know what you mean. Generally though, a thread in the BSG (buy, sell, gift) section should include "for sale", or "wanted", etc. Once an item is sold, it can be closed by a mod, but that's only done if the original poster asks for it to be close (at the moment).

All post listed in the "whats new" section, tell you which sub forum they are under too.

Yes I know this but the point is that all threads in a set forum are uniformed and organized, All the poster does is choose a category when creating topic (the tags I mentioned earlier) and then it has the colored tag at beginning. Then once the for sale item is sold etc they can edit topic (Or mod do it) and choose the "Sold" or other such tag or alternatively close the thread.
    Last edited by ADz; 26-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Mmmmm....one of the reasons I joined this forum is it seemed more personal and less 'commercial' (not that it doesnt look good, it does )- that feel is primarily because its not for profit and done as a project and a favour to its community by Ashley......recently the existing mod team decided that more mods were neede because they simply dont have the time.........

Unless you're volunteering your services Adz .....FOC of course

Im sure Ashley will be along shortly to put forward his view - he is after all the administrator
    Last edited by Silverback; 26-06-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Mmmmm....one of the reasons I joined this forum is it seemed more personal and less 'commercial' - that feel is primarily because its not for profit and done as a project and a favour to its community by Ashley......recently the existing mod team decided that more mods were neede because they simply dont have the time.........

Unless you're volunteering your services Adz .....FOC of course

I'm sure Ashley will be along shortly to put forward his view - he is after all the administrator

This hasn't anything to do with commercial ability of forum its to do with usability and experience. You probably wrongly assumed that because I used BCUK as an example (Probably should have used another type of forum) which is yes more commercialized however this thread prefix isn't related to that in the slightest. The suggestion was 100% purely for improving useability, Its a little thing but can make a world of difference to certain forum sections where sub-forums are not needed but some sort of at a glance distinction between threads is useful.

And yes if you ever need more helping hands I would gladly accept and yes ofcourse FOC.
    Last edited by ADz; 26-06-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    You probably wrongly assumed
    Sadly once again it is you assuming.
    [

I think I see what Sapper is saying. To me these prefixes would only really be needed in the sales orientated threads, and that area of the site was only added to assist people in forwarding their used/hand made goods to fellow shcrafters. Being that this forum is all about free knowledge/skills sharing, this section doesn't really need to have so much focus on it. Especially with the limited time that each mod can spend online to maintain any "extras" that may be available.

In theory it should be easy to identify the threads you want, as long as the OP includes the correct wording in the title.

Just my personal views, and my take on why Sapper mentioned that nasty word (commercial)
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel